1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Voice Recognition Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bobr1, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

This post is also available on my web site at:
    http://www.bobrichardson.com/prius_voice_problems.html

Introduction:

A number of recent 2006 Prius owners have posted messages on the PriusChat discussion site about their limited success in using the voice recognition system which controls the navigation system and other functions.

Personally, I find that the system recognizes my commands most of the time, but that the error rate is way too high to allow the voice system to be useful or reliable.

I believe I have found a lead which may point to the cause of the problem. In summary, I think that the audio levels coming from the microphone are not reaching the navigation computer with the proper gain. This document shows how to check your own audio levels on a 2006 prius and decide for yourself if there is a hardware problem.

Warning:

The following instructions show how to access the internal service menus of your Prius. These menus are largely undocumented and care should be taken not to change any values. The author assumes no liability for problems which you may experience as a result of using these menus. Perform the following tests only when the vehicle is safely parked.

You will not be able to exit from the following menus without turning off Prius and restarting it. (EDIT 2006-03-09: Yes YOU CAN exit from here... as mentioned in the comments, just press and hold the DISPLAY button for about 5 seconds.)

Accessing the Menus:

On your MFD, press the "Display" button. The Display/Brightness/Contrast overlay will appear.

As indicated in the photo below, press the "secret" buttons just within boundaries of the display pop-up. Press in the following order: Top - Bottom - Top - Bottom - Top - Bottom; six presses total.

[​IMG]

You should now be at a screen called "System Check Mode". From there, press "Menu", and you should wind up at the Diagnosis Menu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Performing the 1st Test:

From the Diagnosis Menu, touch "Display Check" and then on "Mic & Voice Recognition":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The audio from the Prius microphone (located in the cluster containing your dome light and map lights) is sent to at least two destinations, the MFD, and the navigation system. Here, we are testing the audio levels which are reaching the MFD.

Here, you can speak some phrases and see the audio level bars light up...

[​IMG]

Using the Record and Play buttons, you can record about 5 seconds of audio and then hear it back, basically hearing what the car "hears". From this screen, you should hear a reasonably clear version of what you have recorded. This is the audio that goes to the MFD.

Practice a phrase or hum a sustained tone that reliably lights up 4 bars on the meter. When played back, the recorded audio should be free of distortion. Be sure you can achieve this predictably, as you will need to make the same sound again in another menu for comparison purposes.

After you are done with this test screen, press "Disp Menu" in the upper right corner to return to the previous screen, and then "Menu" in the upper right corner to return to the Diagnosis Menu.

[​IMG]

Performing the 2nd Test:

From the Diagnosis Menu, touch "Navigation Check" to go to the Navigation Menu. From there, click on "Mic & Voice Recognition Check":

[​IMG]

You will arrive at an audio meter screen which is very similar (but not exactly the same!) as the one used in the first test. This is the meter which monitors the audio level reaching the navigation system.

[​IMG]

Perform your recording and playback test again... try to repeat your phrases which you previously learned would achieve 4 bars of audio level. Note that in this menu, the same phrase (at least on my Prius) will only reach 2 bars of audio level, and sounds very weak during playback.

Now try talking louder, try to get 4 or 5 bars of audio. You can even get the bars into the red, but you will have to shout. But note that even the audio with 3 and 4 bars of green on this menu sounds clipped and heavily distorted!

It appears that the navigation system is expecting an audio level over a broad range, but that the audio arriving at the system does not cover that full range. Further, any attempt to talk very loudly to compensate for the low levels results in distortion.

I theorize that the voice recognition system, as designed, is fairly reliable. It appears that it is recognizing commands from a very low input signal. But when you add road noise or slightly soft speech, it doesn't have much to go on. Talking too loudly causes the signal reaching the voice system to become so distorted that it can't understand what is being said.

Keeping in touch...

I would be interested in hearing the results from those of you who have completed the test. Please write to bob (at) peak dot org. If you reproduce this problem for a dealer service technician, please let me know what you were told.

As I gather new information or learn of any statements from Toyota, I will post updates here.

Happy hunting,
    Bob Richardson

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone tried this on the 04-05s ? Is there a way to increase the gain on the mike?

3. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

As a follow-up, I received a private email this afternoon from someone who was able to duplicate the results on his 2006 Prius.

- Bob R.

4. HyDee

HyDee New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    my car is stuck in reverse!!!

j/k :p

5. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

I'm not sure what that joke has to do with this thread... please folks let's keep this topic confined to the issue of voice recognition. Thanks.

- Bob R.

6. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

An added note here:
    Service menus can also be reached by depressing either the DISPLAY or INFO buttons while turning the lights on and off 3 times.

Also, when in service the menus, holding the DISPLAY button for longer than about 5 seconds will allow you to exit without having to turn the vehicle off.

Rick S
    06 Silver Metallic w/option #7

7. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is this the same set of menus that let '04/'05 owners turn off the Nav lockout while driving?

/Jim

8. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

No, I don't think so. Diagnosis/service screens look different on the pre-06 models. Evidently, it seems Nav lockout has been removed from the 06 service menus, but I'm still hoping someone will find it for the 06 (if it exists) and post it here.

Rick S.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No those are reached by a similar set of actions but on the Volume screen in the Nav menu. I have looked at some of these screens but not deeply. I wonder if this can be adjusted by the THH Scanner? It would be nice if we could get the voice recognition to work better.

10. Dripps

Dripps New Member

This was exactly my question. I looked through and didn't see any option which looked like it might be able to disable the nav lockout. I'm hoping someone figures it out -- it's very annoying not to be able to have a passenger work the controls on the MFD while I am driving at least! There is no reason to be restricted like this!

11. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Please, let's keep this thread about Voice Recognition. There are plenty of threads about the Nav Lockout issue... I'm trying to consolidate information about poor voice recognition reliability in the 2006 model year. Thank you.

- Bob R.

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very cool instructions... thanks alot for all your effort and work in doing so.....

I haven't got to play with the NAV yet since I don't have my car.. so please be patient with my questions...

1. Does the NAV listen all the time for commands or is it only activated when you press a button?.... Cant you activate it by just talking to it?

The reason for my concern is that if the sensitivity of the audio pickup is turned way up and you have loud conversations or even music going for that matter, it may jam up and slow the system as the cpu is trying to process all that info continuously?
    I'm still wondering why Toyota would have made such a mistake, unless they did it in a very quiet warehouse somewhere when they initially set it up.

2. Does the audio respond even when you are in other screens like the energy screen etc?

thanks....

13. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

1. No, you press a button on the steering wheel and after an annoying prompt or a beep (depending on your preference), you can then say your command. When you push the button on the steering wheel, the stereo audio (if any) is muted automatically.

2. Yes, it responds in most screens generally.

- Bob R.

14. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bob,

I'm just confirming that I tried your instructions on my '06 Pkg 8, and my results were similar to yours.

/Jim

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the quick reply. bob..... I should have known Toyota was sharper than that!

16. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is it possible to turn off the annoying prompt and just have a beep? That would be great.

Also..I'm lucky to get 50% success with voice commands. I'm at nearly 0% with street and city names.

17. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Did you try the test in the original post at the top of this thread? I'd love to know the results you got.

And yes, you can _partially_ turn off the prompts. It's in your Navigation settings menu, 2nd page... but it doesn't turn off all of the prompts, just the 1st prompt when you push the button. All the extra crud after "dial by name", etc., is still there.

- Bob R.

18. notsure

notsure New Member

Bob
    In the nav test screen it only showed bars if I was screaming, the MFD showed 1-2 bars with a somewhat normal voice, play back was very soft. But it seems to recognize my commands ok,the few I have used, finds mexican, italian, french resturants, gas via voice command with ease, speaking in a normal tone, but slow and clear, only been playing with it for 4 days now.

Will try more commands later.

19. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Thanks for checking... anyone else?

- Bob R.

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bob R.

Yes, I had similar results to you. I get about 60-70% recoginition of voice commands. However, I have also noticed that in the MFD recording part that the first word is always cut off. In other words when I press to record my voice the system (VOX?) does not immediately pick up the first word so that when I record "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." I don't hear "Now" or I get a clipped version of it such as "Ow is the time. . ." In addition the Nav screen portion took 5-10 seconds to begin playback even though I started speaking right after pressing the record button.

My 2006 #7 Super White was purchased 1/02/2006 and was made on 11/05 it also has the "AM Radio" problem.

Wildkow