1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 PRIUS (!) warning after engine swap

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by brian3nj, Oct 31, 2010.

1. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius with 186,000 miles. The engine developed a knock. I swaped the engine with one from a junk yard. The swap went well. I reconnected the HV battery and the 12v battery. When I tried to start the car I recieve the red triangle with many other dash displays and (!) over the car in the upper left corner of the system screen. I checked for codes with a code scanner, all I can see is $7ea and $7eb. When I clear them the (!) disapears for about 5 seconds and the word problem displays and then tha(!) comes back. The 12v battery reads 12.4 volts.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you verify that all of the wiring harness connections are sound, especially those leading to the inverter and transaxle - since you have the hybrid vehicle warning icon appearing on the MFD.

If that doesn't help, since you don't have an OBD-II code reader that will retrieve the DTC, you'll probably have to tow the car to your local Toyota dealer so that the DTC can be retrieved.

1 person likes this.
  3. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It was the connection at the HV battery. I found the following information on the forum
    1. insert
    2. rotate the handle
    3. slide the plug ( I missed this step)

Thank you very much
    Brian

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to hear that you solved the problem.

How many miles are on the new engine? Did you consider replacing the transaxle as well, since you had to remove that to get to the engine? Any photos to share with the group?

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Brian. I remember reading your post a few weeks ago when you were considering doing an engine swap because of the knock.

Glad it worked out. I was just wondering if there was any "history" to that worn engine. For example, were there any maintenance issues or overheating or low oil issues etc that you know of that may have led to the engine wearing out.

6. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The replacement engine was listed as 69,000 miles. I posted about 2 weeks ago that I wanted to rebuild my engine and the response was to look at a salvage site. I checked the site and an engine was available 12 miles from my home for $270.00. The transmission has been flawless so I changed the fluid and reinstalled it. I did not take any photos.

xPETEx likes this.
  7. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I purchased the car new and changed the oil every 5000 miles with full synthetic. The car has 186,000 + miles on it. This is the only problem I have had. I did notict at about 150,000 miles the engine would loose about 1 quart of oil between changes. About 4 weeks ago I noticed a low tap that progressivly got worse. The engine never failed, I just decided it was time to swap it before it did. The new engine came out of a salvage yard for $270.00 and sounds great.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fascinating. Given your ownership from new and observance of the 5K mile oil change maintenance schedule, I would not have expected an engine failure at this odometer reading.

Do you plan to disassemble the engine? It sounds like a bearing is becoming worn?

Glad to hear that you obtained the replacement engine at such a low price. That really beats the time and money needed for a rebuild.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Brian. Sounds like the salvage engine was a really good idea. At $270 it seems like a bargain. :)

BTW. Can I ask what grade oil you usually used, eg 0W20 or 5W30 etc?

10. nickbike

nickbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    brian3nj,
    How hard was it to do the engine swap on the Prius? About how much time was needed?

I've swapped an engine out of an '85 Toyota pickup and switched it from carbureted to fuel injected at the same time.

I'm thinking attempting a Prius could be a whole different story.

11. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used 5w30 full synthetic. I was not true to any brand. Mobil 1, valvoline, castrol. I used what was on sale.

12. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is different than any I have ever done. The engine and transaxle are removed as an assembly from the bottom. It took me 6 hours to revove it and about 7 to re-install it. If I had a manual I could have saved about 4 hours. I was working in my drivway with jack stands and 2 floor jacks. I worked alone except for lowering and raising the drive train. Take your time with the wiring connectors and removal of the inverter.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm impressed that you took that job on without having the repair manual that shows the sequence of steps to take, provides tightening torques, etc.

14. brian3nj

brian3nj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not plan on disassembling the engine. I did pull the plugs and found that #2 was coated (about 1/16") with a light brown dirt like substance. The plugs were put in about 1 month prior to removal.
    I think the knock must be with #2 and a crack may have developed in the piston.

15. jefftexas

jefftexas New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    may i ask about how many hrs it took to do? did the engine come out from the bottom of car by removing the cradle?

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Post #12 describes hours and also how it came out the bottom of the car.

17. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian what brand oil filter did you use on the orignal prius engine?

18. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Impressive! Gives me hope for my 1NZ-FE head swap i want to do....