1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius Wheel Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MyPria, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MyPria

MyPria New Member

Hi Prius Chatters,
    Just thought I would let all you 2006 owners and future owners in on a problem I just encountered. The only wheels you can use on a 2006 Prius are factory 2006 Prius wheels.

I just bought a 2006 Prius and negotiated with the salesman and the general manager to put my snow tires that are currently on my 2005 Prius mounted on their own Prius factory wheels on my new 2006. I was told, no problem. Well I went in to have the switch work done and the Prius tech said, there's a problem. The 2005 wheels don't have a sensor for the new tire pressure monitor on the 2006 and if I tried to use them anyway I would VOID my Toyota warranty. Was I freaked. NO one told me this when I bought the car and made changing out the wheels and tires a requirement of purchase. I paid a lot of money to have a 2nd set of factory wheels for my snow tires because I'm not in to the headache of changing out the rubber at a service station. I want to go out to my garage and just change the wheels and be on my way. Well, to make a long story short the ONLY wheels you can use on the 2006 are factory 2006 Prius wheels, no after market, no 2005 Prius wheels, no NOTHING but 2006 Prius factory.

The dealer was very sorry, but he or no one but the tech knew. I called Toyota and filed a complaint and was told the same thing. Only factory wheels, folks. If you want to have your tire pressure light on all the time and risk voiding your warranty, be my guest.

2. Howard

Howard New Member

Did you ask the Toyota service rep, if you could buy a pair of extra tire pressure sensors for your snow tire rims?

3. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I did. The 05 wheels don't have the groove to mount the sensors, so they can't be added.

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have two sets of wheels for each of my two 2006 Prii. However... I only have 2 total sets of tire pressure sensors (one set for each car). My winter wheels are not stock Toyota wheels.

Currently, Toyota is out of stock for tire pressure sensors... and they are a whopping $106 each. I plan to get 8 more. In the mean time... the tire dealer took the sensors out of my stock wheels, and put them into the aftermarket winter wheels. They work just fine. They are built into the valve stem.

I have seen nothing in the owners manual that would indicate that changing wheels would void a warranty. This sounds very fishy to me.

/Jim

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My dealer changed the OEMs on my new 06 to Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds. They said nothing about the issues you brought to light. They merely took off the OEM's and put the new ones on. Tire pressure monitor was then merely reset. Case closed.

6. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I called Toyota customer care after I left the dealership yesterday and was told I could not add sensors to the 2005 wheels because there was a built in groove for them that the 2005 wheels did not have and I would void the warranty (if there was a problem with the sensor light & the computer). It only would void the warranty if something went wrong with the computer because the sensor light was left on (which it will do, if there is no sensor in the rim) Who is putting the sensors on your after market wheels? I'm sick about not being able to use my existing rims with my snow tires. Any help would be appreciated.

7. MyPria

MyPria New Member

Hi Three60guy

I'm talking about rims not tires.

8. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MyPria,
    My tire dealer is Les Schwab which is a huge tire company here in the pacific northwest. The simply took the sensors from my 2006 standard wheels, and installed them into the aftermarket winter wheels for the cars. The sensors work perfectly.

/Jim

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

There you go.

Toyota CANNOT void your warranty for using aftermarket wheels. It's law. But that shouldn't even be a problem. If you've seen the sensor, it sits flat agains the rim, it doesn't need a groove to fit in. Putting a grove nto the wheel would structurally compromise it. Dealerships are always threatening to void your warranty for one thing or another. The finance manager tried to convince me to get the prepaid maintainance plan, as going to Jiffy Lube or some other shop would void my whole warranty becuase they could not guarantee they did it right. Total and complete BS. He's lucky I didn't walk out then and there. Whenever the dealership says something will void your warranty, don't beleive them. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty act prevents this. Only if Toyota provides free replacement parts, can they void your warranty for using aftermarket. If not, and they charge you for parts (wheels, oil, air filters, whatever) then you as a consumer can go to whomever you want for parts. Only if said part directly causes a failure in another part, then the warranty on ONLY THAT FAILED PART IS VOID, the rest of the car is still under warranty. As for the TPMS, there is no reason the computer would fail by having the indicator on. THe system does not contro any other part of the car or even influence any other part of the car.

I plan on switcing my wheels for aftermarket wheels. The dealership agreed to do it, but only after they made it clear that it would affect my mileage.

I'm taking it to a tire shop on moday though, as they can do it cheaper.

10. MyPria

MyPria New Member

flynz4,

Thanks for the info. I live in Colorado Springs and we don't have Les Schwab tire stores here but I'll see if the dealer can call them tomorrow and and get instructions on how to do the same thing. Hopefully that will work. I wonder why Toyota customer care was so adament about 06 factory rims only. Very frustrating.

11. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MyPria,

Most new cars (at least mid priced or higher) now come with TPMS. Tire stores will be aware of how to deal with adding them. I suspect that you might have problems getting a new tire pressure monitor from Toyota right now... but the tire store should be able to use your existing ones easily enough.

/Jim

12. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We had a thread which anticipated this very problem.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13796&hl=

I believe the owner's manual says you must use OEM wheels and cautions that "some" tires won't work too?

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This kind of stuff really gets to me. First off the dealership can NOT void your warrantly for using a different tire/wheel. At MOST what they could do is deny warranty coverage if that part and ONLY that part caused an actual failure to the sensor which is basically impossible.

The TP sensor should mount flush to the aluminum wheel and is part of the valve stem. I do not believe that there are any differences at all between an 04, 05 or 06 aluminum wheel due to the TPM system.

If you want to use your TPM system with your new wheels/tires you can either simply transfer over your existing sensors to your new wheels or go out and purchase 4 new sensors. This way you would have your "winter" wheels and your other ones to use and still keep your pressure system happy.

Good luck!!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

14. MyPria

MyPria New Member

Brian,
    Thanks for the information. Why do you think the dealership and Toyota Customer Care 1-800-331-4331 said I had to have 2006 rims to mount the sensors? I doubted the dealership, so thats why I called Customer Care. I wonder why some people make everything so difficult.

15. Jim06

Jim06 Member

I took the stock wheels and tires off of my 2006 Package 7, and mounted snow tires on TireRack Sport Edition D3 wheels. I didn't move the TPMS sensors to the snow wheels. I just left them on the summer wheels in the garage.

The TPMS light has not come on.

I assumed the car was smart enough to see that all 4 sensors had disappeared, and decided to take the winter off.

Anyone else in this same situation?

-Jim

16. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is a lot easier to tell people that something will not work than to actually do a little research on the subject.

When you call Toyota you are probably speaking to a call center and they are "programmed" to only tell you the most basic things or do direct you to a dealer in your area. My guess is that the question you asked was over their heads and just told you that since the car is a 2006 that is HAD to have a 2006 wheel installed.

If it makes you feel better you can always call the parts dept and ask for the part number of a 2005 aluminum Prius wheel and then ask them for the part number for the 2006. My guess is that it will be the same P/N.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115