1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 2 days

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chinna, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 1 day

Hi everyone,

I am proud new owner of used 2006 prius with package 7 and 32k mile.

I just bought it today. One thing really bother me was so much rattling and buzzing from dash and other area around including A piller. All the cars I owned sofar including couple of econo boxes did not have this kind of severe buzzing and rattling. It is severe esp when driving around 25MPH.

But now the tricky part is, the 3 year 36k warranty expiring in a day ( just 24hours). Vehicle bought by first individual on 4/22/2006.

So, now how to deal with this. Do I call dealer and take an appointment for later? Or call Toyota and let them know we have these problems, then take an appointment with dealer to fix these. Will they cover under warranty?

If they can not find the noises(usual with dealer with not hearing anything), and can not fix it, will I able to get it fixed later going back again. How does it work with Toyota?

Also another problem is, the small grill around fog light is missing on one side. Where is the best place to get it, and how to install it it?

Also, one more weird thing is all the engine mounting cast iron brackets are rusted!!? esp right side( passenger side). Is this common? Does it pose any issues?

Your quick help is appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: 2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 2 da

There are many plastic panels that can rattle around as you've noticed. A kit of insulation strips is available, that can be applied to the places where the panels overlap to reduce the noise. This should be covered under warranty if you immediately report the problem to your Toyota dealer. If you have any concerns about the tech finding the noise, take the service writer for a ride so that s/he can hear what you are talking about.

I buy my Toyota-branded parts from:
    Champion ToyotaWorld

You can obtain repair manual info from techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website. It might be necessary to remove the front bumper cover before you can gain access to the radiator grill that surrounds the fog light.

I have not seen rust on the engine brackets but I live in southern CA which is not as wet as your area.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 2 da

Boilerplate advice for others: Anyone buying a used car should pay an experienced tech to thoroughly inspect it before buying.

Was the car ever in an accident? If so, seriously consider canceling the sale. Noisy trim may be the least of its troubles.

Otherwise, as Patrick wrote, get it to a dealer immediately so that they will log the problems before the warranty expires.

4. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I did check the history of the vehicle, no accidents, all maintenance records are checked with Toyota dealer. That part is good.

I called Toyota today morning, and they said I have to get it inspected and filed to Toyota today by a Toyota Dealer. So I just gave the car to Toyota dealer, they verified and said 36 month warranty last day is today, and they said they will fix it under warranty. Sofar not bad. But it seemsToyota is not flexible at all in this respect. My previous vehicle Mitsubishi outlander, I called in Mitsubishi and told these issues when I have few days left, they said they will put in records, and also intimate dealer, so I can go anytime later within a month about this problem.

Also, about the grill I checked part online, it is only $15 buck with $10 shipping. So, I asked dealer to fix it ( he said including installation it should be less than $50.)

But anyways, hopefully these guys can hear these sounds and fix it. I will update once I get it fixed.

But I have a question about this Platinum Care warranty advertises on this forum in one the thread. It is only for first owners? I thought it is for any owner as long as it is still under bumper to Bumper warranty.

Appreciate all the help!! :)

5. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Also, there is one paint chip on the A pillar on the driver side ( around 3mm in diameter) which seems to be just developing rust.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, there are several small paint chips on the bonnet( hood). So I was wondering if there is any quick way to fix these? esp if all can be done in single pass, instead filling in each one of those which is impossible as they are so small( less than 1mm wide and 2mm long) and somany of these.

6. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Search for "Troy" on this site to get the best Toyota extended warranty deal. (Buying a used car is the only time I would consider getting an extended warranty.)

As I recall the cheap way to stop potential rust is to sand any existing rust down to metal, then use touchup paint. A small spot will be inconspicuous even without trying to sand and repaint to match the surroundings.

The hood is aluminium, so it cannot rust.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If you want to buy a Toyota extended warranty you must do that within the 3 year / 36K mile period. So you may be too late by now to purchase that warranty.

Regarding the paint flaws, I suggest that you visit a good local auto body shop and have them repaint the hood and the A-pillar. That will probably cost you around $500-$600 but hopefully the car will then look like new again.

8. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Hey, I guess I am not late. I already contacted Troy yesterday got 7 year/75000mile Platinum warranty for $760, that is last day of my 3y/36k mile warranty.

Also, good news is local Toyota Dealer was able to fix most of the buzzing noises. Normal driving it does not have any, on rough road it still has some buzzing, but not very irritating like before...

Haa... I am relieved little bit, but I still got lot of things to do.

9. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Also, wondering if anyone tried these mobile paint chip fixers? It seems these guys come over and fix these nicks, paint chips on bumpers and hoods.

How good are these? do they do all required surface prep?
    Do they properly fill in these to chips?
    Do they polish after filling in chips?
    Do they apply clear coat after that?

Also, I am surprised that engine mounting cast iron brackets are rusted, including the Hood lock mechanism ( Body looks fine, no rust).
    Anyone know how to clean all this rust without affecting the paint finish? Also how to protect if further?

Thanks

10. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

BTW, I also order following items for my Prius

One missing wheel cover ( that ugly plastic thing on the nice alloy wheels)
    eBay Motors: Toyota Prius Wheel Trim Ring hubcap 2004-2009 brand new (item 320355570710 end time Apr-30-09 09:41:31 PDT)

Side airbag compatible Seat Covers from eBay based on recommendation from one of the members on Seat covers thread.
    eBay Motors: 2005-2009 TOYOTA PRIUS 2 ROWS SEAT COVERS GRAY (item 200326557482 end time Apr-30-09 10:03:42 PDT)

Navigation DVD upgrade to U32 ( 7.1) from eBay
    eBay Motors: toyota / lexus navigation dvd disc U 32 D Ver.07.1 (item 260395017187 end time Apr-22-09 06:37:34 PDT)

All Weather floor mats ( as the driver side original mat is pretty beatup)
    eBay Motors: PRIUS TOYOTA ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS (item 260397671735 end time Apr-22-09 08:08:01 PDT)

One more thing is the Headlight assy also has little road rash( not as much as hood and bumper), but I may buff it out some time later.

Also, quick question for veteran members.. how long the OEM tires last? 40k - 50K? It seem it has 5/10 of tread. I am not aggressive driver, also not very slow driver. My previous outlander OEM tires with UTQG rating 320 lasted 50k.

Thanks for all the great help.. and frankly I think this is best of the best Car forums(not just Prius) ever existed.

11. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Some drivers get as little as 20K from the Goodyear Integrities. They allow good fuel economy but they are not very durable.

12. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Anyways, I just drove to local lesschwab Tire Center and asked them to check. They said it is at 50%, but since we can not drive all the way to 2/32, I may be able to around 15k miles on current tires.

So, I guess tires are good for atleast an year.

13. kallenjr

kallenjr New Member

Re: 2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 1 da

I have the same make/model/year. I too had the annoying buzz from the front center dash, seemingly at the instrument cluster/LCD mirror. I inserted strips of felt in various places where the dash components met. However, I think the real culprit was where the top part of the dash/console goes all the way to the windshield and slides over the defroster vents. When I put some felt between them (an admittedly awkard insertion), it has silenced the vibration. Yeah!!!

14. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: 2006 Prius with 32k too many rattles, and buzzing from dash and Grill- Warranty expiring in 1 da

Thanks for the Tip. I got few noises fixed by dealer, but still there are more. I will try what you suggested and see if it helps.

Thanks