1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius with dying HV battery - OK to drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jhg, Jun 14, 2015.

1. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have all the symptoms of a nearly dead HV battery - P08A0 diagnostic code, and a very short charge/discharge cycle. It'll go from completely discharged to full charge in a few minutes of driving. I'm scheduled to get the battery replaced tomorrow, but today had to drive about 40 miles round trip today, mostly on the freeway. On the way back the car exhibited some troubling behavior after about 10 minutes at 60MPH, during a long gentle (2%) hill climb:
    • The engine suddenly revved up as if it was in "B" setting instead of "D"
    • The energy display screen (the one with all the moving arrows) stopped displaying any power flows, i.e. all the arrows went out and stayed out.
    • The battery fan (right rear) came on
    • When I pulled off at the next exit it acted as if it was in Neutral. Stepping on the gas caused the engine to rev after a delay, but delivered only a very small amount of torque to the wheels.
    I was able to coast off the exit and to a stop sign. The energy display arrows came back on, and I then had enough torque to turn onto a downhill. After a few hundred yards it started delivering more torque to the wheels. Gradually, torque returned and I was able to make it to the grocery store. After being parked for 30 minutes it seemed to be back to normal and the return home was uneventful.

So, what happened, and is it safe to drive in this condition?

#1 jhg, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    make sure you got plenty of gas, but you need to ask in the gen3 forum if its safe to drive.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say it's safe to drive to the dealer for a new battery replacement under warranty.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll have to decide if you are comfortable driving the car given the driveability symptoms that you described. I would not say that the car is "safe" to drive if the powertrain could at any moment shut down.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Residential streets perhaps.

6. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    disconnect the battery, make sue 12volt is charged, hook it back up, head out early, say a prayer, I drove 90 miles, besides the 40, to get it diagnosed. Have aaa card or someone to call. I wish you the best.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can drive it but wouldn't call it "safely".
    At any moment you could have the same failure recur.

Each situation is a bit different. As brucebee noted, he went 90 miles. The other day I had a customer who couldn't go two blocks.

8. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems to work well if I stay off the freeway. I drove it about 25 miles on city streets at <40MPH, watching the SOC gauge. While it went up and down rapidly, as long as I avoided any high-power acceleration it fluctuated between 50% and 100% and never went into safe mode. It's now at the repair shop having the battery replaced.

BTW, I was able to get the Dorman battery at a local parts store for $1332 and installation at a repair shot for the book time of 3.25 hours, so it'll come out under $1700. About half of the dealer charge and $1000 less than most shops that sell the battery and installation together. Seems replacing Prius batteries is a good business if you can find uneducated consumers (of which there seem to be a lot).

bisco likes this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Watching the SOC really made no difference at all.
    You could have had it blocked out and you still would have had the same results when driving.
    The battery's health was going to be the same.

Comparing price of a NEW battery to a rebuilt is not a fair comparison.
    Of course a refurb is less than new, but it is not the same product.

It has nothing to do with uneducated customers.

Not everyone wants to buy and do their car's oil change.
    Not everyone wants to buy and change their car's spark plugs.
    Not everyone wants to buy and change their car's transmission.
    And not everyone wants to buy and change their own hybrid battery... including you.
    All these things are possible if you want to do it. You could have saved more money by doing it yourself for free.

bisco likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As Eric said, you are comparing new (unused) to a refurb. And paying $400 to have someone install a battery can make your deal look pretty sour if you end up invoking your warranty.

I hope you let us know how the Dorman/NAPA purchase works out for you over the next couple of years. This is the only refurb I personally would consider because I would install myself, but I still have my doubts about it. E.g, how long does it take to get a new battery under warranty ?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go with green tech, their warranty is top notch, and they move quickly to satisfy unhappy customers.

12. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, the two local shops that quoted $2700 for the same Dorman battery, installed, certainly are hoping the consumer doesn't price the battery and labor separately. I guess they are keeping the core charge.

Final drive-out price for the Dorman + install at the local repair shop was $1550. At that price it has to last only 40% of a new Toyota battery lifetime to break even. I'll be sure to post updates if there's anything to report within the next few years :)

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is just ridiculous. Even a Toyota dealership will often install a brand new battery for about $3000.

bisco likes this.
  14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All shops take some markup on the part. As they should. It's how they stay in business.
    Usually it is somewhere between the wholesale and the retail price.

In my region, $2,700 is a bit high for a refurb Prius pack. But some areas have higher overhead or markup than here in Wisconsin.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Odd, I thought their service was through labor and expertise.

#15 SageBrush, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mechanics do not sell the parts for the same price they get them for. The same with a plumber or electrician. There's always an added markup

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I've been around businesses so long I never thought that perhaps people didn't know that fact.

Glad it came up for discussion.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's only a matter of competition. the could sell the part for below cost and mark the labor up higher. all that matters is the bottom line, and how does that compare to the next guy.

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it has to do with running a business. There's overhead costs associated with running a business. Whether it be a warranty offered on the parts sold, or the time/gas in getting the part. There has to be a markup.

It's like hospitals that charge you $10 for a Tylenol pill, when they get it for $.25

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, but at the end of the day, the amount cash in the drawer is the same. i suppose you could advertise low cost batteries, or labor, then hammer them on the other.

when my plumber sense his bill, there is a price for parts, and a price for labor. i have no idea why.