1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 PULLS TO THE LEFT ON BRAKE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by icemanjrperu, Feb 18, 2006.

1. icemanjrperu

icemanjrperu New Member

I have a brand new 1500 miles package 5 2006 Prius. When braking at low or high speeds, it pulls to the left approximately 65% of the time.

I took it to the dealer, they drained the brakes and reilled the lines and did all kinds of tests. They told me it was normal.

I balked and the service manager took 2 cars they had on the lot (brand new, just off the truck) and he told me they both did the same thing. Conclusion- this is normal for the Prius.

Any comments? I really appreciate your advice on where to go with this, after TTL and extended warranty I paid over $32,000.00 for the vehicle and I don't think this is acceptable.

Thanks for any comments or help directing me on this issue! :mellow: :huh:

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Well, mine has never pulled to either side when braking.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

sorry brakes don't pull to the left or the right for that matter. There is something wrong with this car. Take it back.

4. robinsod

robinsod New Member

Neither our '04 or '06 has ever shown such a symptom. Make 'em fix it! The " ... that's normal ... " response is typical BS.

cheers

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    has it done that since you got it? or started somewhere along the way? could be the tires. could be a number of things. where are you located? maybe someone here could point you to a good local service department. i'd get a second opinion if i were you.

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I posted a similar thread about 500-800 miles after purchasing my 2005. I searched for the thread, but I think it was lost in the server crash.

Mine did not pull right off the lot. It started happening one day for no obvious reason (I did not hit anything, etc.)

Since then (last July), I have had it realigned, brakes checked, tires checked and rotated, and have complained about it my 2 service visits. Now 12,000 miles later, it still does it. It doesn't do it at all speeds, just in casual slow down braking as I am pulling up to traffic signal. If I brake on the highway, it does not pull (actually not pull on the car, it sort of pushes hard to make the steering wheel move counter clockwise).

I've compensated for it, but as I get closer to the 15,000 mark, I need to press the issue. I've posted elsewhere about the lousy service I am getting from my closest Toyota dealer and had planned on switching this next service. Maybe I'll get some help there. Maybe you should get 2nd opinion too, cause I can tell you that it is not going to go away.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    bigdaddy, have you changed out the oem tires? i'm suspecting this is related to the intrgrity tires...

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I have not swapped out the tires. I'm thinking too that it might be the tires. I was planning on putting some additional miles on the tires, but maybe 15,000 would be a good time to swap out.

9. icemanjrperu

icemanjrperu New Member

it's done it since day 1, but of course I was excited about the vehicle so it didn't really start to bother me until about 2 weeks into it

10. rwindsor

rwindsor New Member

2006 - level 4 - 2,000 miles: Along with brake inspection you may wish to have them check tire balances. Steering wheel was positioning right of center for straight ahead driving. Dealer said tire balances were OFF. Good luck!

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"If I brake on the highway, it does not pull (actually not pull on the car, it sort of pushes hard to make the steering wheel move counter clockwise)."

This phrase makes me wonder about the steering assist.

12. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the dealer swap out the tires for you, no charge.

I had the same condition you're describing on a brand new Celica. After 4-wheel alignment, brake system check and bleed, and a new steering rack (all the dealer's ideas), the regional manager reviewed my "case" and right away had the dealer switch out the full set of tires. Problem solved.

Turns out that if the layup wraps in the tire's manufacture is slightly assymetric, then you'll get the pulling effect.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ya, if it's radial pull in the tires the only way to fix it is to get new tires.

who is that character in your avatar??? it's familiar but i can't figure it out for the life of me!

14. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    who is that character in your avatar??? it's familiar but i can't figure it out for the life of me!
    [snapback]212292[/snapback]​
    [/quote]
    Uh... I'm a rooster, can't you tell. <blink. blink.>

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    of course. but who is the "rooster"?

;)

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed it very rarely.. and yes.. its to the left if it does it.. but it very subliminal.. not too obvious.

I figured it could be the regen brakes...
    in order for the 50K generator to make power it will slow the wheels down as it develops amps for regen "acts as braking" the friction brakes are rarely even being used at all!... its actually the alternator slowing the car.

I don't know how "both" front tires are tied into the electric motor.. but it would stand to reason if there is ever a time when they are not in perfect balance it would turn the car.

I really doubt its the tires... just my opinion.. because I would think a tire would be a consistent issue.... most of the time it never does it, but when it does it can be rather obvious. I suppose it could be dependent upon what the road texture is at any given time as to whether it would act up.

It doesn't do it often enough for me to be alarmed and it doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

I would like to know what does it however.
    If its tires, then its no big deal to me...

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Tell me more, I need more ammo. 1) I am still confused after all of these miles, is the Prius a steer-by-wire vehicle? 2) IF so, where does steering assist come into play here?

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

When you had your problem, was it a consistent symptom?...or was it intermittent?

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, it's by-wire. give me a minute on the steering assist question. he's looking up something else for another thread at the moment. ;)

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if zero point calibration isn't run on the steering assist it might, MIGHT, do that. regen... you could test this by testing light braking (using regen only) vs heavier braking (like a panic stop) to test the hydraulic brakes.

have they checked adjustment of the rear brakes?

hard to tell without actually seeing the car... :(