1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 - Rear Bumper Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DarrenG, Apr 17, 2010.

1. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Need your help guys! Attempting to install the TPA400 rear parking sensors on my 2006 Prius T-Spirit.

Drilled bumper and installed sensors AOK but cannot fathom how to remove the darn bumper to wire it all up!

The installation document I have shows the fixings that I need to remove but having done so it isn't moving so either I'm missing something or the guide isn't telling the whole story.

I've removed 2 screws at the top, 2 plastic rivets underneath, two screw/bolts either side and three in each wheel well.

Can anyone help me get the bumper off before I give up and admit defeat!

I'd thought bumper removal would be the easy bit!

Below is the page on removal, I can't identify the fixings with the '?' and the bolts in the wheel well don't even appear!

[​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took a look at the rear bumper cover. I see a large Phillips screw located at the high point where you've marked an ? The lower point with an ? seems to be located an inch or so from the edge of the rubber trim, at the bottom of the bumper.

Consulting the repair manual, it appears that the lower point is a plastic clip that is supposed to be pried out from the bottom? Good luck.

Are you going to run the sensor cabling through the vent on the left side, behind the left rear wheel well?

The repair manual lists the following to be removed when taking off the rear bumper cover:

1. REMOVE REAR BUMPER COVER​
    (a) Put protective tape under the quarter panel.
    (b) Remove the 5 screws, nut and 2 stoppers.
    (c) Using a clip remover, remove the 4 clips.
    (d) Using a screwdriver, disengage the 10 claws
    HINT:
    Tape the screwdriver tip before use.
    (e) Disengage the 2 claws and remove the bumper cover.
    (1) Hold the rear bumper cover on its upper and lower
    parts with your hands as shown in the illustration.
    (2) Pull up the rear bumper cover’s lower part while
    holding its upper part securely.​
    NOTICE:​
     ​
    The claw will not disengage unless the rear bumper
    cover’s upper part is securely held.

​
    Do not forcibly pull up the rear bumper. This will deform
    the claw.

3. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, so it looks to be considerably more difficult than the install guide would suggest!

Appreciate the guide, I'll take another look tomorrow but I've no idea what I'm looking for now :( I mean what is a stopper/clip/claw?? And where on the image Toyota supply are these 10 clips? Grrrr

4. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further searching here (love this site!) has unveiled this .pdf showing an exploded view of the rear bumper.

Armed with that and your guide I should be good to go so will have another attempt tomorrow!

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you found the .pdf that I had uploaded some time ago.

You should apply protective tape at the border between the rear fenders and the bumper cover, to protect the painted surfaces. Along that border, there are five "claws" on each side, hence ten total. There are two more claws at the rear of the bumper.

A clip is a removable plastic part that acts like a large peg, once inserted. A claw has a jagged edge that latches onto another part. Not sure what a stopper is, maybe you'll take some photos of the pieces after you've removed the rear bumper cover and let us know.

6. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, it did help. I subscribed to ALLDATAdiy.com just moments ago to get access to the full removal guide as I wanted to be sure what i was up against before I try again and it's now beginning to sense.

It was the claws along the sides that I was confused about. The two claws at the back seem easily disengaged by rotating the bumper from the bottom but how do I release the side ones?

These still cause some concern. There doesn't seem to be much room in the gap between bumper and side panel, am I supposed to be inserting a (tape wrapped) screwdriver into this gap and if so, how do I disengage the claws?

Any help gratefully received failing which I shall apply liberal quantities of protective tape tomorrow and see what I can do!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't had to do this yet. However I would first try pulling the rear bumper cover out from the quarter panel, hoping that would disengage the claws. I also would be queasy about the idea of using a screwdriver to pry the gap, considering how visible that seam is.

8. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it will all be straightforward now I know what I'm dealing with. When we first tried we didn't even know these claws were present as Toyota's less then helpful install document made absolutely no reference to them!

Late now but tomorrow is a new day :)

Typical though as I'd thought the bumper removal would be the easiest bit. Painting the sensors and drilling the bumper went ahead without incident and the colour match is perfect so it was a shame to have this hiccup but such is life :)

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the attached photos will help, as they will show you where the claws are inserted.

Attached Files:

10. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent, thank you. Did you remove the bumper yourself?

If I succeed in getting the bumper cover off I'll make notes and take photos so I can document it for others.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I had some painting work done on my 2007 and took the photos after the body shop removed the rear bumper cover.

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah ok, I'll be sure to grab photos as I progress assuming I don't get stuck!

13. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick reply to update the thread.

Managed to remove the bumper. Found a wallpaper scraper was the best tool to release the claws, no-way a screwdriver would do the job without seriously messing up the bumper paint!

Typically, I had installed the Prius mud flaps only a few days previous and these have to come off for the bumper to be removed. I managed to do that with a right-angled screwdriver rather than remove the rear wheels again but it was a real pain to do!

Bumper came off real easy otherwise and the sensors are now installed and the wiring is in the trunk. Just have to finish the connections now but it was such a beautiful day yesterday I chose to hit the beach and leave that for later this week!

I'll create a new thread with images of the removal process should anyone else want to do so.

Thanks to all who posted with advice, appreciated.

14. connorwes

connorwes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Darren,

Did you ever get around to posting that new thread on bumper removal? Any photos would be great.

To quote you again,

15. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't take enough photos to fully document removal but it was a lot easier than I had feared.

The hardest part is releasing the side catches where bumper meets rear wing.

I found the easiest solution was to apply copious masking tape and then use a thing wall paper stripper type spatula. Slid into the gap it was easy to release the catches by pressing gently and the bumper corners popped off.

From there on, all that remained was to undo the various screws and plastic retaining clips.

I may need to do it all again anyway as the reversing sensors are playing up, sone day they work fine, another they just emit a long beeeep when reverse is engaged. Not sure if it's damp in the sensors or what :(