1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 rear camera work while going forward?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Jan 9, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a way to use the rear camera while going forward in drive, or is it only for reverse?.....

2. JMcPhee

JMcPhee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Reverse only. enabling it while in drive would cause liabilities for the manufacturer "I was looking down at the screen and KABLAAM!...."

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    they shouldn't be any more liable than just looking at the NAV...

I want to see the expression on the jerks face thats tailgaiting me when I throw my coke bottle out the window. :ph34r:

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to CA vehicle codes, having a camera installed to monitor surrounding of a vehicle is legal. See (B)-(4)
    As for liability, I am sure an "I Agree" button will be there for you to push before you can use it... Just like GPS. <_<

>>>>
    27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

(B) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when installed in a vehicle:
    (1) A vehicle information display.
    (2) A global positioning display.
    (3) A mapping display.
    (4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
    (5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
    <<<<<

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Windstrings, there was a short thread on this recently which might be of some use

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14464&hl=camera

When I first heard about the rear camera I just assumed you would be able to use it when driving forward.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL!!! :lol: Glass coke bottle or plastic coke bottle?

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thats according to whether I"m in my morning mood or evening! :D

Second thought, a whole 6 pack of plastic ones thrown out at once may get a better reaction and may be funner!

I don't want them to crash, just have some manners....

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks... it sounds like there may be a hack or rather a shortcut sequence if we could just find it.