1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Red Triangle of Death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by katief, Nov 26, 2010.

1. katief

katief Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 has a smart key. Today I pushed the button and the lights came on but it didn't start. I got a message in the screen that said something like "the transmission "P" function is not working. Park the car on a flat surface and engage the parking brake" It was parked on a flat surface and the brake was engaged. The car would not turn off. I held the button in and eventually it powered down. I started it again and it would not go into gear. I put the key in the ignition, turned it off and got out of the car and shut the door, it wouldnot turn off and the display (even for the transmission) was not completely lit so the letters weren't formed. We finally got it turned off and then back on and were able to get it in gear and take it to the dealership. They can't figure out what is wrong. Their next step is to diagonse the problem by removing the dashboard and back seat at a cost of $950. If it's a wiring problem it won't cost more than the $950 but if a computer needs to be replaced there will be an additional charge.
    I have read lots of posts here but no one mentioned having the dash and rear seat removed to diagnose the problem.
    The car has 81,000 miles and has not had the 12V battery replaced.
    I do not believe the dealership is crooked, I believe they don't really know what else to do.
    Any suggestions and/or information will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Katie

2. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is a classic low voltage problem. You need a new battery. You have several options, OEM from dealer. yellow top and others. search PC chat for details.

1 person likes this.
  3. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    By that vertex means the little 12 volt battery, not the big battery. The dealer will tell you that they tested it and it's fine. It's old enough to not owe you much anyway. The test dealers do doesn't seem to tell them when it's weak enough to cause problems.

2 people like this.
  4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Get the dealership to replace the 12v battery before they do anything else. It's probably the cause of your problem. Even if it isn't, its 5 years old and doesn't have much life left anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  6. katief

katief Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much for the advice and information. The car was at the dealership on Saturday so I had them replace the 12V battery. The battery cost $170 and $45 to install. Picked it up and it works just fine.
    So relieved.
    Thanks again. The forum saved me $700 plus whatever the cost to repair the dealer suggested.

1 person likes this.