1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 runs out of gas quickly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David, Apr 1, 2006.

1. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I traded my 2004 in for a 2006. The leather seats, cooler colors, better BT and the tax credit got to me. My old Prius would easily go 45 to 60 miles after the low fuel warning light started flashing. I never ran out of gas in the old Prius and would always have close to a gallon reserve when I refilled.

The fuel bar seemed to go down more slowly and consistently on the 2006 Prius. I still figured at least 45 miles once the last bar started flashing. Unfortunately it ran out of gas about 7 miles after the warning came on. The red triangle started flashing and the warning symbol in the MFD displayed with the icon that means immediately take the car to the dealer symbol.

Looking at the nav system I realised the nearest gas station was 11 miles away. I ran on battery for about a mile until I found a safe place to pool over and wait for AAA. I could not find anything in the manual about running out of fuel in the car.

AAA delivered about 2 gallons and the car started right up. What a difference from the last time I ran out of gas with a carberated car in 1974.

I guess with this car I'll have to be more careful in watching the gauge and fillup before I get too far out into the country.

The good part of the story was I got to stand in a park like setting and watch a beautiful sunset rather than drive.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that you've stretched the bladder in your 04 or that it has naturally stretched out over the 2 years.

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I absolutely love these stories of people running out of gas... I just cannot understand why people wait till they have 1/10th or less of a tank to go get more gas... I drive a 2002 VW new beetle now and go into panic mode when I get to 1/2 tank or less... and I can go at least 125+miles on 1/2 tank (beetle tank being around 12-13 gal) Why people... why??? Just go to the darn gas station...

4. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Apr 2 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]233703[/snapback]</div>
    I see alot of these posts and am amazed at how many prius owners run out of gas.
    When I get down to 2 dots left I get gas and it usually takes 8.5 gal. (2006 prius)
    I know I have a 11.9 gal tank but that is fine with me I don't have to take 11 gallons at fillup.

I think people don't realize that the gas gauge might start blinking and you may not notice it at first.
    when you do notice it you think it just started blinking when in fact it has been blinking for 5 min.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I typically start calculating when it goes from 4 bars to 3.. I reset the trip B.

Bar 3 typically gets between 50 and 60 miles before it goes away. Reset Trip B.

Bar 2 also gets between 50 and 60 miles before it goes away. Reset Trip B.

No, I don't know if it's in any way true, but I'm expecting Bar 1 to also get 50 to 60 miles. (I've never run it that far or long, so I don't know).

Bar 1 goes about 25 to 28 miles before it starts to blink and say 'add fuel'.

Reset Trip B again.

I've only ever gone about 5 miles, 8 miles the 2 or 3 times I've done this.

I only get that close because I drive 65 miles each way to work. If I have a good 3 days and my mpg has been 50+, then I prefer to go for day 4. I need to have 'close' to 3 bars starting out on day 4 of the commute in order to even try this. With just about 3 bars, I've made it to the gas station on the way home each time I've tried it.. having run on the blinking thing about 3 or 4 miles.

That's 530 miles on the tank and about 10.2 gallons of gas usually.

So, if your mpg's are closer to the 40's, adjust accordingly.

6. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What, pray tell, is the point of waiting to put fuel in the car until it's running on fumes? This is insane. Complaining about the precision of fuel gauges is like complaining about weather forecasts - anyone over the age of 5 understands that both are imprecise at best and you adjust your behavior accordingly.

Like others here, I regard anything under 1/4 of a tank as an immediate call to look for a place to fill up. Warning lights? In 45 years of driving, I've pushed it only once [we were about 5 miles from home, and I knew the station I wanted to hit, and the light had barely come on in our Mercedes] and NEVER run out of fuel. The Prius is a car that particularly doesn't take kindly to this behavior.

7. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

I have to agree with the previous posters...Never wait until the blinky pip blinks...'because then, it's too late!

I often fill up at whatever gas station has the cheapest gas at the time. If it's 3/4 of a tank and fuel is $2.30, then I'm there. Makes it easier to buy less gas when it's more expensive!

8. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In most cases I do fill up when there is a couple of bars left but in others due to time constraints and travel I don't mind pushing. It's probably also my temperment. For those of you old enough to remember the old OJ Simpson commercial of him running down the gangway to catch a plane it was a formative experience. Until after 911 I always felt I was arriving too early to the airport if I didn't have to run.

I also admit that just as you don't understand my pushing it I definitely don't understand getting nervous enough to fill up when the tank hits 1/2. This was my first time running out since 1974 so I'm not doing too badly. Just think of all the time I've saved not going into gas stations too much.

Best regards to all and let's all enjoy our quirks.

9. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Prius owners tend to push it to the max. They want to push their miles per tank up as far as possible. I think this is why they "challenge" the gauges. It's still very hard for me to understand. I have a 2000 VW Jetta and on the rare occassion I let the tank get to a point where the light comes on. I get gas ASAP! The last thing I want to do is give that car yet ANOTHER reason to go to the dealer. :blink:

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ Apr 2 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]233764[/snapback]</div>
    Well, they should be smarter and go for max "miles per gallon" (or lowest litres / 100km), and not miles per-tank. Who cares about miles per-tank? I'm sure that hummers get great "miles per tank" as well (although they have enormous fuel tanks too to compensate for their hungry, hungry engines).

Dave

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I look at it this way. Whatever the price of gasoline I am paying about half what everyone else without a Prius. That is like getting gas at half the price. So why would you even shop for a good price under these conditiions? When my Red beauty gets down to about one or two bars I just take her to get filled up again. Last one was under 20 bucks. You simply can not complain about that.

Ok, the math. Currently about $2.60 a gallon. Half of that is $1.30 a gallon. Dang, thats cheap. Folks, this technology does not like to run without fuel. Things will break if you do this and your not lucky. That is what I have read. Go fill the damn gas tank instead of penny pinching. The Prius already is making it cheap for you no matter what you do.

Ahem. Ok, off of my soap box now. :)

Cheers

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ITA with a lot of the posters here. Why wait until your fuel tank/bladder is almost empty before refueling? I don't need to 'push it' to see how many more miles I can go on a blinking pip, or to see how many miles I can get from a single tank. When I get down to 2 bars (or god forbid, 1!) I immediately find a gas station and fuel up. Have never run out of gas in a non-Prius, and don't intend to in a Prius. No reason to run out of gas in such a fuel-efficient car anyhow. I don't like living on the edge and don't want to risk damaging my car by running out of gas and forcing it to run on electric only while I franctically search for a gas station.

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

There are two types of people who drive with a blinking pip: those that have run out of gas, and those that soon will.

14. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ Apr 2 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]233758[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it takes, what-all of 5 minutes?-to fuel up a Prius with 8-9 gallons of fuel. Compare that to the SUV at the next pump over getting 20+ gallons. Many times I pull up, fuel up and leave and the SUV next to me is still fueling up and they were there before I arrived. I probably waste more time purposely making my commute longer so I can seek out a higher mpg average on more mileage-friendly roads than I do getting gas about once a week.

15. faastguy

faastguy Junior Member

Let's see now ... The tank holds 12 gallons, and conservatively I'll get at least 45 mpg, so when I have traveled about 540 miles (per the trip odometer) I can expect to be running on fumes?? Too easy B)

16. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazy Cat @ Apr 2 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]233832[/snapback]</div>
    This is the key to all those folks running out of gas: "tank holds 12 gallons". You drive until it has 1 or 2 bars showing and you get only 8 gallons into the tank when you fill it. People seem to be taking the 11.9 gallons of tank capacity as gospel when most of us know it can be less than that depending on temperature. Also there seems to be wide variation between gas pumps on what "full" means. So I think a lot of people think they have gallons left with the last bar blinking when they are really running on fumes.

At the local "get acquainted" night at my dealership, the "master diagnostician" of the service department got stuck with the Prius owners. On just such a question, he replied that the tank really only seems to be good for 10 gallons of gas reliably. He felt that 11.9 is possible only with filling into the filler neck and that put your carbon canister at risk. With temperature and fill variations, assuming the tank is only good for 10 gallons would keep you out of trouble. This seems like good advice even though I know the long distance gurus got a bit more than 12 gallons in and I have gotten 10.2 in just after the last bar started blinking. Assume 10, not 12, and don't assume you've got 2 or 3 gallons left when on the last bar.

- Tom

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Once you know your car well, and the gas gauge's behavior, it's possible to safely wait until the last bar starts blinking. I always wait for this to happen before adding gas, except if I'm going to take a long trip. By waiting you simply reduce the number of visits to the gas station.

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At a difference of 4-6 dollars per fill-up of 40 litres between different municipalities, it is strategic for me to 'challenge' the guage sometimes. If it's Friday morning, and my fuel guage starts blinking on my 50km round-trip commute, I'll wait until the evening, after chuch, to fill up where the gas is 10-15 cents cheaper.

I've run out of gas 3 times now. Only once did I not make it to a gas station. That darn blinking bar was just too general. Now that I have CAN-View, I can get a better idea of how much gas is left since it gets displayed as a numeric percentage. When it hits 2%, I know it's a good time to start thinking about getting gas. ;)

19. jceh1

jceh1 Junior Member

I've "sort of" run out of gas once. Noticed the light blinking and was in a rural area. Went to the first station I could find. No problem yet. Pulled up to the pump, and was the second car in line. Someone else pulled up behind me so I thought I would be courteous and move up to the front pump, since the car that was there had just pulled away. I pressed the power button, and nothing happend, other than to have the display give me the message "add fuel" or something like that. I have tried to be cautious since then. Problem is you so rarely need to add with this car you tend to forget about it!

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jceh1 @ Apr 2 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]233943[/snapback]</div>
    That message is nothing more than the low fuel warning. It displays momentarily when the last bar starts to blink and every time you start the car thereafter until you fuel up.