1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Tax Credit are for who again???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ca_gary, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ca_gary

ca_gary Dazed & Confused

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    ok - I think I need a shower. I have been shopping the dealers in Northern and Southern Calif just to see what prices and availability they have.... (I live in Bay Area)...

I had this interesting email thread between myself and Toyota of Buena Park. Read on and cry or laugh whichever you feel like. All I know is that I will *NOT* be patronizing these guys ever!:

On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:13 PM, Conner, April wrote:

Gary,
    Package #7 is available in the Prius. If you would like to
    purchase today your price is $28,221. This is MSRP on this car.
    If you would like to purchase in January your price is $31,221.00
    plus fees.
    Please let me know if you are intersted.
    Happy New Year,
    April Conner
    Internet/ Fleet Manager
    Power Toyota Buena Park

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:08 PM
    To: Conner, April
    Subject: Re: 2006 Toyota Prius

Hi April,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Well, I can't get down there today unfortunately, but I am curious
    why the price is going up $3000 in Jan when Toyota corporate just
    raised the prices about 2% when they released the 2006's in November?

What's up with that? and what "fees" are on top of that?

thanks,

Gary
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary,

Supply and Demand...There is a higher tax incentive to the consumer on Jan
    1st. Fees are Tax, Lic and $45 Doc Fee.
    April Conner
    Power Toyota Buena Park

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*sigh* - So the government TRYs to give us a break and the scumy car dealers try to take ALL of it for themselves as if THEY deserve it! (by the way, I pay AMT and will probably NOT get ANY credit - still waiting for the 06 laws to get posted before I will know for sure).

I did my math - I figure that I will save roughly $600/year in gas with a Prius over the car I have now. So they up the price and it will take 5.4 years just to get back to where I am saving anything (I added sales tax on top of the 3K since it is taxable)... so - don't fall for the trap of thinking this car is good at any price. It's not. MSRP is about as much as I can swallow and talking to scummy dealers just makes the experience that much less enjoyable. - think I am going to take that shower now and wash off some of the slim.

- gary

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, what a rip off. i can't believe that. yuck. makes me feel ill. :angry:

3. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

You'd be well off to tell that dealer that the attempt to extort you on a prius purchase was not well received.

"Plan to never sell another vehicle to me, and plan for me to tell everyone I speak with about how your dealership does business. I believe that over time I will cost your dealership well over the $3000 that you tried to extort from me. I'll never know if I did or not, but I will keep trying for quite some time. Happy dealing with other customers in the future. Perhaps take a moment to consider how you will treat them."

Then go buy your car from an actual MSRP sales team.

End of January, I'm all ready to breathe fire into my sales rep if they pull off any added options that we hadn't discussed. There's bound to be a fleet of 2006 civic hybrids on the lot if Toyota isn't ready to do the right thing on the Prius. I'll also let them know that I'm about 2 minutes from walking out the door, never returning and continually telling friends, family, neighbors and everyone about how the dealership tried to pry the lid off the bank account. I'm guessing if they have tha balls to give it a try, they'll back off when they meet the resistance.

I may also spend the rest of that saturday test driving pickups, camerys, avalons, the works... What does it cost a sales rep to spend an entire saturday with me. I know there wont' be any sales commission for him that day, and the dealership wont get any sale(s) from him for the day. Does it cost them anything for me to drive all their cars around? In the end, I'll tell them how I feel about the crap they tried to pull on the prius deal... goodbye.

4. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

Seems they are honest scum, well I suppose if they want to go that route I would go elsewhere. Demand is increasing as price falls due to the tax credit if they increase it by the same amount and do not account for the time value of money would that not force demand back down into aproximate equalibrium.... just punch them in the nose for me :)