1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Tax Credit Finally Settled

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by too tall, Jan 31, 2006.

1. too tall

too tall New Member

The Kiplinger Tax Letter of 1/27/06 states the size of tax credits for hybrid-car buyers is finally settled, now that the IRS has told automakers how to calculate the credit.

The IRS will certify the estimates within a month or so, but buyers can now rely on the estimates.

The Prius will earn the largest tax credit of $3,150 for 2006.

Remember the tax credit phases out on day one of the second full quarter after the 60,000 cars manufactured per manufacturer is hit. (Not per model).

2. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

3. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone know how the 06 credit will be validated or applied for? Does the date you register your car determine whether or not you can go for it?

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you mean "not per model?"

YOu mean they are counting every truck, car etc that is being manufactured too?.. That doesn't seem to make sense... but since when does the Fed have to make sense?

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Your signature indicates you have already bought an '06---right? If you didn't take delivery of it until Jan. 1 or after, you're "validated". If you took delivery of it in calendar '05, you're out of luck for THIS tax credit; but you're eligible for a tax DEDUCTION of $2000 from adjusted gross income, which will yield you about $600 when you file your taxes for '05. Neither tax break needs to be "applied for" in a separate paper transaction with the Feds. They're simply calculated (by you or your tax preparer) into your tax form.

Or have you only ordered an '06 so far?

6. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's by manufacturer.. all Prius', 400h, HH, and soon TCH's will/may be counted toward the 60000 unit cap. ( Maybe not the TCH's but those in 3rd Qtr should get the applicable credit ).

7. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Does this mean if I buy a 2006 Prius anytime during this year, including December 2006 - I will receive a tax CREDIT for $3,150? Meaning I'm paying Price of Prius - $3,150??? :)

8. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

No, it certainly does not.
    However, if you buy a new Prius (model year 2005 or 2006) before July 01, 2006 and your AMT is at least ~$3150 less than your tax burden and the estimated tax credit (not official amount yet) is ~$3150, you will be eligible for the full ~$3150 credit.
    After June 30, 2006, the tax credit for Toyota hybrid vehicles will begin to phase out if Toyota manages to sell 60k hybrid vehicles of any model in the first quarter of 2006.
    It is possible that Toyota might reach the 60K mark in Q1 but I think Q2 is more likely, in which case, the credit would not begin to phase out until October 01, 2006.

9. vega

vega New Member

No. If you buy a 2006 Prius in the first two quarters of this year, you are guaranteed to be eligible for the full credit (whether you actually receive it or depends on your individual tax scenario in general and your AMT to be more specific).

The tax credits phase out starting the second quarter after an automaker hits 60000 hybrid car/truck sales in 2006.

So even if Toyota sells 60000 hybrid autos on Jan. 1, full tax credit will be allowed on all hybrid autos that Toyota sells in 1st and 2nd quaters of 2006.
    If, more realistically, then hit the 60000 mark in 2nd quarter of this year, then all people who buy Toyota/Lexus hybrids in the first 3 quarters of this year will be eligible for a full tax credit.

After that time period, the tax credit progressively drops.
    Hope that makes sense.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Kiloran and Vega's understanding of the tax credit mirror mine. I'll just add that the phase-out is 25% per quarter, or about $800.

I think by the end of 2006, barring another huge jump in petrol prices, Prius will sell for less than msrp, offsetting the decrease in the credit limit. So if you have a reason to wait a while before buying, I wouldn't let the tax credit sway you too much.

In another 18 months or so, rumblings of the next Prius revision will hit the 'net, and I'd imagine a used Prius market will develop that may be a good buy money wise.

In short -- avoid impulse buying. Time is on your side.

11. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know if the tax credit will be on the E-Z 1040 IRS form for next year as a one liner?

12. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Almost.
    The phaseout is faster than that and the initial drop will be ~$1575.

from the Phase-out_of_the_hybrid_tax_credit section of our FAQ:
    Phase-out of the hybrid tax credit
    In short, the period for the full hybrid vehicle tax credit lasts at least through the second quarter of 2006.
    The date you take possession of the vehicle (not the order date) is the applicable date for purposes of the tax credit.
    The 60,000 hybrid vehicle threshhold includes all models the manufacture sells after December 31, 2005.
    If 60k hybrid vehicles are sold by a manufacturer sometime in the first quarter of 2006, the tax credit will follow the following schedule:
    (2006Q1) - 100%
    (2006Q2) - 100%
    (2006Q3) - 50%
    (2006Q4) - 50%
    (2007Q1) - 25%
    (2007Q2) - 25%
    If the 60k threshold is reached in a later quarter, the 100% period will be longer for as many additional quarters as it took to meet that threshhold.
    The quarters start on January 01, April 01, July 01, and October 01.
    This means that the full tax credit for Toyota will be in effect at least until June 30, 2006.

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Probably not.
    Like the $2000 deduction it replaces, it will likely be on 1040 without itemization necessary and not 1040-EZ.
    This is just an educated guess, however. B)

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Kiloran is right (p 1418 of the Energy act): the first phaseout is a 50% decrement for two quarters, and then two quarters at 25% on the initital credit. Not 25% every quarter as I had posted.

2006 Energy Act

15. the fish

the fish Member

I thought that whether or not AMT applied was based on a pre-credit tax liability basis. If your calculated tax liability based on your net taxable income is less than your AMT, then your tax liability is the AMT and the credits available to you may be reduced by a percentage (or possibly phased out based on income). Conversely, if your tax liability is $500 more than AMT, you should be able to use any credits available to you even if that brings your net below AMT.

If you look at the current 1040 and instructions, the AMT calculation and comparison is done pre-credits.

Of course, we won't know for sure until the 2006 forms and instructions come out.

16. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Not so.
    I have read the applicable section of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 as well as postings on reliable NGOs and it is VERY clear that the credit will not reduce your tax liability below your AMT.
    I have quoted the text of the law in other threads and can locate it again if you really need to read it for yourself.

17. too tall

too tall New Member

The hybrid tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit. The credit will reduce your regular income tax liability, but not below zero. The credit will not reduce your alternative minimum tax, if that applies to you. Your regular income tax liability is found on Form 1040, page 2, on the line that reads "Tax." For example, this is found on Line 44 of the 2005 Form 1040.
    If you are eligible for multiple tax credits, there are special ordering rules for which credit to take first. The hybrid tax credit is taken last after all the following credits take been taken into full account:

Child and dependent care tax credit
    Credit for the elderly and disabled
    Adoption tax credit
    Child tax credit,
    Mortgage credit,
    Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits,
    Credit for retirement savings,
    Foreign tax credit,
    Nonconventional fuel credit, and
    Electric vehicle credit.
    So the formula for your maximum hybrid tax credit is as follows:

Regular income tax liability
    minus the total of these other tax credits
    minus the tentative minimum tax calculated under the AMT rules.

18. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, can you carry the credit forward? If you pay AMT for TY2006, can you carry it forward for TY2007?

Nate

19. the fish

the fish Member

Kiloran, I have read the energy policy and am aware of the part which says the personal credit will be limited to the amount of the tax liability less credits under the policy over the tentative minimum tax. However, we can only speculate how this will come to life until the IRS has issued the forms and instructions. This credit will most certainly (like other credits) have its own form to calculate any impact that AMT may have.

Also, the formula posted by Too Tall for 'maximum hybrid credit' subtracts credits outside the policy. How can that be if the policy says you compare regular tax less credits under subpart A and sections 27 and 30?

20. scirocco

scirocco New Member

Does this mean that if I typically set up our W-4 exemptions such that we get a small refund, that this credit does me absolutely no good? Should I tweak our exemptions such that we would end up owing uncle sam $3150 at the end of the year, which would then be reduced to $0 by this credit and put more money in our pockets each paycheck?