1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Tire pressure monitoring system - question after replacing sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swamibob, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Swamibob

Swamibob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tpms light came on and stays on solid a few months ago. I found a place that would install my own sensors for $30/ tire and reprogram. I had them install them today and the light still didn't go out. According to his book, on the 2006 prius the computer should automatically pick up the sensors by just resetting the tpms button under the dash. Does anyone know if this is true, or do they have to use the scan tool and enter it into the computer via the OBDII port? I thought that I read a while back that they have to be put in with a scan tool, but now I can't find the info so I hope someone one here knows for sure. I'm really upset that after finally getting the sensors and a place to do it for me at a reasonable price that the system is still not working.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. zak.kapoor

zak.kapoor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The documentation I have shows:

When replacing the tire pressure warning valve and\ transmitter:
    (1) Make a note of the 7 digit number (transmitter ID) written on the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter when replacing it. Register the transmitter IDs in the tire pressure warning ECU after replacing the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter and installing the tires and wheels on the vehicle.

NOTICE:
    The transmitter ID is written on the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter and it will be unable to be read after installing the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter on the tire and wheel. Therefore, make a note of the transmitter ID before installing the tire pressure warning valve transmitter.

REGISTER TRANSMITTER ID NOTICE:
    It is necessary to register the transmitter ID in the tire pressure warning ECU when replacing the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter and/or tire pressure warning ECU.
    (a) Prepare all transmitter ID data before starting registration.
    HINT:
    • When replacing the tire pressure warning valves and transmitters, note down the IDs written on the tire pressure warning valves and transmitters.
    (b) Connect the intelligent tester (with CAN VIM) to the DLC3.
    (c) Turn the power switch ON (IG).
    (d) *1: Read and write down the ID (ID1 to ID4) by using the DATA LIST.
    (e) *2: Select REGIST TIRE by following the prompts on the intelligent tester screen. (UTILITY - REGIST TIRE)
    (f) *3: Select the registration mode "MAIN".
    (g) *4: Input the ID (ID1 to ID4) using the intelligent tester and transmit it to the tire pressure warning ECU.
    (h) Check that "THE REGISTRATION SUCCEEDED" appears on the intelligent tester screen.
    HINT:
    The previously registered IDs will be deleted from the memory when the registration is completed. If the operations of steps *1 to *4 do not complete within 5 minutes, the mode will return to normal operation mode.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The tpms needs to be programmed into the car, it's more than pressing a button. That information is wrong

4. Swamibob

Swamibob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, I'm going to take it back in tomorrow and see if they are capable of doing it right.

5. Swamibob

Swamibob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I took it back to them today with the instructions I downloaded from Dorman. They took their scan tool outside and was able to do it without dismounting the tires. They just scanned the sensors in and then plugged it into the ODBII port and programmed the id numbers. Light is off now. Thanks for the help.

Rob

dorunron and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a job well done to me. The only thing you should do now is to set the pressure and then push the button on the TPMS to register the pressures you set. Then if the tires leak down, the light should come on alerting you of low pressure in one of the tires. The Prius unfortunately doesn't tell you which one is low. You have to figure that out either visually or with a pressure gage.

Best of luck to you Rob! (y)

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any decent shop has a TPMS scanner that will confirm sensors are working and extract the ID code of each sensor via RF. (they walk around the car and hold the scanner close to each valve stem). The ID codes then have to be input into the cars TPMS computer. Many TPMS scanners automatically do this by plugging into the OBD2 port after the walk around scan is done. The ID codes can also be manually entered with Techstream / Mini-VCI.

Unlike some other cars, Prius has no way to automatically "learn" the ID codes of the TPMS sensors in your wheels.

If you buy your own TPMS sensors, it is still a good idea to write down the ID codes before having the tire shop install them.

jdcollins5 likes this.