1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Toyota Prius interior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jan 20, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Just want to tell you that while I was getting my oil changed today I went to check out new Priuses. They had 3 sitting on the lot unclaimed for. 2 were with package #7. I asked the guy to show me the inside. I HATE the textured plastic. It looks rough, it feels unpleasant. I HATE it. Why did they change it? When I touch my plastic if feels nice :)

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you recall there were opinions passed around here with folks complaining about the 04-05 interior and how the plastics seemed cheap. I never agreed with that. Would describe the darker plastics on the dash and the upper half of the doors as "sikly" in texture. Very appearling and nice to touch. The bad part was that somebody with perspiration or greasy hands would leave finger marks, but that is easily removed with a damp cloth or some mild soapy solution.

If I were to guess I would say that the change to a more agressive texture was to reduce finger sumdging. The result is an unplesant feelign texture and one that might old dust more easily than the previous surface.

Oh well, models change, stuff changes.

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

yeah, and you can't wipe it ptoperly either. The textured plastic on 04-05 model was difficult to wipe and now this plastic is even rougher. I am glad I got 05 just for that stupid sake :)

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I think they did it 1) because most people think the smooth surface looks "cheap" (the word "rich" is often seen with "textured" in advertising); and 2) scratches are much more visible on a smooth surface.

5. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I think that will be a long term bene of the textured surface

6. robw95

robw95 Junior Member

I must dissent, I love the new pebbled finish! With a nice micro fiber cloth
    and a swiffer it is easy to keep clean.

7. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I've seen many nice and pleasant to touch textures and the one on a Prius is NOT

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I use the swiffer cloth and lint stays on the textured surface I have to go and wipe that after I wiped the dust

9. notsure

notsure New Member

I personally like the new look!

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i think to us 04-05 owners the 06 looks funky inside because we have already established the idea of what a prius "should" look like on the inside.

that said, i prefer my 05, thanks :)

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

perhaps, but it's not just the look of it, it's also the feel of it. I wouldn't want to lean against it with my shoulder or elbow if I had a short sleeve on, it looks like after 5 minutes I would have painful wounds.

12. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw one up close last weekend for the first time, and I REALLY don't like the new surfaces. Mine comes in sometime next week - I think I'll just look away from that part of the car. I hate to the think of what happens if someone spills a latte all over the dash!

Dave

13. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

you will have to just suck it out.
    I also think that the texture is overpowering. Ohh you know what it reminds me of? A shoe sole.

14. craigcush

craigcush Member

Well said.

I was going to get a new one but that was the main reason to pass. Dropping the roadside assist helped too. The glitzy stuff and mfd are pretty, but I will keep the function of the override on the DVD as well.

15. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new surface detail doesn't strike me one way or another. I've noticed, like others said, that it's less likely to scratch and cleans more easily than earlier years.

Purely speculation, but I wonder if the cushioned textured dash surface (it gives when pressed) might have some kind of sound absorbing quality? My '06 seems quieter than my '04's and '05's, especially road noise transmitted into the cabin, and that may be part of the reason why...unless that Paul McCartney concert did some damage last year. :blink:

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

how does it clean more easily?

17. QED

QED New Member

Oh yea....your '05 is like......last year! :p

18. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't streak when cleaned with either water, car wash solution or 303 Protectant and a microfiber cloth. Both surfaces are probably equally clean, but the textured surface looks cleaner when finished and takes less time for a better result.

19. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

not in my experience. Lint stays on the textured surface and I have to clean it again. I just wipe the smooth surface and it's done

20. QED

QED New Member

OK, I just went out and looked at the '06 interior. The plastic dash seems ok to me. No one has complained yet. I think they could have found a nicer texture for the plastic, as it is a bit too coarse.
    I guess I will live with it. :D