1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 VW with SKS?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by kdmorse, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was told that on one of the new VW models for 2006, once will have a feature nearly identical to the Prius SKS. However, looking through VW's site - I can't find any indication of any such feature.

Anyone know if the feature is available, and just badly documented. Or I am simply wrong, and none of the 2006 VWs have anything like SKS?

-Ken

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    VW had announced it would be available in the Touareg at launch but it never materialized.

I guess they have finally come around.

Nate

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh - the Touareg, you're right. I'm told the 2006 Touareg ($40K+ SUV) has the keyless entry identical to the Prius available on some trim levels, but no keyless ignition. And I'm told it's a poorly documented but available option on the highest trim level 2006 Passats ($31K+) as well.

So you walk up to your car, key in your pocket, and can open and get in. Then... You have to pull the key out of your pocket, while sitting down, in order to start the car? What's the point?

-Ken

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the new 06 Passat will have a fob as a key. Inserting the fob into the slot apparently starts the car? Wonder how you get into ACC mode. Or maybe it's a two stage thing.

5. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Several high end cars I've seen have a fob instead of a key. However you still insert it just like a key, and turn an assembly just like a key, one notch for acc, two for igngnition.

Perhaps VW just took one of those, and added Prius like keyless entry to it.

-Ken

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't remember it having to turn.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Last December I sat in a loaded Lexus LS430 while waiting for an oil change at my Toyota dealership. It had the air suspension and every other option, around $118,000 Cdn if I recall.

The SKS used on the LS430 works similar to the Prius, in that you keep the fob in your pocket. There are some differences, such as all 4 doors having a lock button. And there is a thing on the dash you have to turn to enter ACC or ON or Start.

8. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

As far as other moderatly priced cars the Mazda MX-5 Miata has a keyless smart key system for 06' very thin fob/remote. I think this is one of the few cars other than the Prius in the 30K or less range that has this option.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the LS, FX, G35 and various others need to have the ignition twisted to start whereas the newers ones such as the BMW 3 series, 1 series, M35/45 and so forth have "Engine Start Stop" buttons

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nissan has a new econo hatchback coming out called the Versa that will have an SKS as well.