1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Windshield Sunshade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ServoScanMan, May 13, 2006.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I looking for a Windshield Sunshade for my 2006 Prius. My 1st priority is that the shade cover the entire windshield. My 2nd priority is that it's easy to install and remove. So I have a question for those that own sunshades.

What kind of shade do you have?
    Would you buy it again?

Thanks for the opinions.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Funny, I just ordered my third (one for me in '04, one for her in '05, and one for a friend's pending '06 order!) from the PriusChat store, the custom one from CanvasWorks. 30 bucks shipped. Works well. Rolls up nicely, fits perfect to the Prius front windshield. I can highly recommend one. Beats the accordian-style cardboard (or even soft foil ones) as well as those circular discs that "spring" out from their flexible hoops??

Anyway, the CanvasWorks shades rock. Just like this car!

Cheers,

Curt.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use the circular kind, since it folds up and I can put it alongside the console on the passenger side.

I got it at Walmart- the extra large kind and instead of putting it left to right , I put it longwise- the long part up and down, since our windows are long.

4. Araneae

Araneae New Member

I agree. The Canvasworks shade is excellent. Cut specifically for the Prius. Perfect fit, stays up, rolls up, and works great.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I also have the Canvasworks one similar to the one sold at the PriusChat Shop. I got mine from our local Prius Club. It works great.

6. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

How does the canvas stay up against the windshield?

7. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Canvasworks sunshield sucks! It's a bit too narrow and leaves gaps at the A-pillars, moreover the flimsy foam has no battens and frequently sags. I like the UVS 100 sunshields, $20 more, but well worth it.

YMMV, Brian

8. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got mine from the priuschat store and think that the front one is excellent! The rear on only has suction cups at the top, so it could droop at the bottom...
    definitely buy the front! fits the 06 perfectly!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got two types.

One is the CanvasWorks custom sunshade. Mine seems to work very well. It stays up without the sunvisors, as advertised and covers the entire windshield. I wouldn't mind ordering another from them. The only bad thing is that it's rather large so I can't keep it in the front for easy access.

The other is a rounded square nylon type that fold into a circle. These are really good but I have no idea where to get them since the nylon type ones I have were given as gifts. These work surprisingly well even though it doesn't seem to have much heat absorbing or reflecting material. The best thing is that it folds up compactly and can be stored in the door pockets.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got the oblong spring type (like Inventor's, but from an auto supply store). I like them since one side is silver, not metalic, and sort of looks like my Silver Cloud. They also twist into a very compact form I can stash at the front of my seat, between the adjustment bar and the seat, so they're very handy. You have to get the largest size because the windshield is so big.

11. kinged

kinged New Member

I have the Canvaworks from Priuschat, and I don't like it. It is way too big and quite awkward to fold. I prefer the circular one that folds up and you can put it on back of the seats. Anyone knows where to get the circular one that fits well on Prius?

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ May 13 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]254858[/snapback]</div>
    See this link for a problem I had that may be rooted in use of a cheap, auto-parts store sunshade:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=19434&hl=

I haven't seen this described previously on this forum or others, and the dealer hasn't seen it before. So maybe this is simply an isolated case of a defective dash display. But given the circumstances, I can't rule out a cause-and-effect relationship with the sunshade.

Besides, to fit the long Prius windshield, I had to buy a large sunshade that is wider than needed. That made it it somewhat clumsy to use, and the extra folds hung down at both ends.

So my cheap sunshade is going in the trash, unless I get an offer to buy it (not likely here, I'm sure). Like new, perfect for a big pickup or SUV!

Jim

13. jmccord

jmccord New Member

I also use the $30 Canvasworks "Heatsheild" sunshade.
    Likes: Highly reflective, excellent fit, firm enough to stay put. rolls up with integrated velcro strap, seems well constructed. :)
    Dislikes: I have to completely remove it from the vehicle to roll it up, as it does not collapse or fold like the circular types. Also, even when rolled up, it is too large for front area, I keep it in the back seat, and when I have back seat passengers it goes in the hatch compartment. :(
    Overall though, I am quite satisfied. Especially here in Sun Diego where the high reflectivity really minimizes the heat gain.

14. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also use Canvasworks shades. Excellent IMNSHO.
    Gary :rolleyes:

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a full set of the sun shades from the Priuschat store. This includes the front, back, 4 side windows, and 2 rear triangle windows. I decided to use them when I noticed my car getting up to about 200 deg inside and melting some items or at best fading colors. It was pricey but I do not regret it. It only takes me about 2 min to put them all up but since my car sits in a parking lot from 0700 - 1700 5 days a week it was worth it.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ May 13 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]254962[/snapback]</div>

I completely agree. $30 bucks shot. :angry:

17. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I have been using the retractable shades from AGSINT.com Look for the 'Eclipse Sunshade' I think they are around $70 but SO much easier to use and they stow themselves. I will be buying another set when my 06 Prius arrives.

18. sosmillenia

sosmillenia New Member

$30 Windshield Sunshade does not work anymore. Was great for about 6-8 months, now it sags and falls out from under the visors. Maybe it's the heat. Would not buy another one and would return it if I could.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a sunshade. If you live in an area with little sunshine you can pass on the whole sunshade issue. B)

Tom

20. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member