1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 with 180K?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by srmyers, Jan 3, 2021.

1. srmyers

srmyers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2006 Prius with a little over 180,000 miles. Looks to be a steal at $3,200 (of course, have made sure to look at VIN reports). This would be my first Prius...started looking seriously at them after hearing nothing but good things and spoken with a lot of owners over the years. (I also perused the threads here to look at stories of high-mileage cars.) Any flags about the mileage for that year model? Thanks so much.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If it still has the original HV battery, I wouldn't call it a steal. If it is a higher level package and in good condition, it still might be worth buying, but in addition to the HV battery, which is probably on borrowed time, there are a couple of other caveats. Your area is notorious for having catalytic converters stolen from these cars, with a $2k replacement cost, and a failed braking actuator/accumulator (another trouble area) would also cost about that much or more at a Toyota dealer.

Even with the good reputation these cars have, most members on this forum would advise against buying one of that vintage unless you have a substantial cushion of savings for future repairs. Most would say you are better off looking for a good used Corolla, Civic, Yaris or Fit.