1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 with 182K miles, dead battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by S Keith, Sep 20, 2015.

1. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Hey Folks,

I'm recently Prius obsessed. I've been a Honda IMA guy for about 5 years, and I've always had an eye for the Prius, I just tried not to look at it directly.

Well, now I'm off the deep end. I current have a non-running 2003 in the driveway with its pack on my workbench. Yeah, the pack is toast, but there are a few decent modules in it, though a full gen2/gen3 transplant is the likely outcome.

I have stumbled across a 2006 with a non-functional pack. I have a question...

WHILE I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES WHATSOEVER, but AFTER TWO MONTHS OF SITTING (12V battery flat, used the jump terminal in the fuse box to "jump" it), if Torque reports that 13 blocks are all at 14.9V, and one block is at 7.4V, is it a good candidate for recovery by replacing the bad module(s) in block 13?

Again, I know it's all IMHO and YMMV, but I'm not tuned in to the "tribal knowledge" and anecdotal evidence of the board's collective experience.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is a reasonable candidate if in fact the car was only sitting around for two months and the traction battery failure is the only problem the drivetrain has. Don't take for granted that those two seller assertions are facts.

3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand completely. I confirmed the inverter coolant pump circulates the fluid in the reservoir. The only code is P08A0. Even if a single module restores pack function, it's still a high mileage pack. The inability to confirm any mechanical functionality will be reflected in my offer.

Thanks again,

Steve

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think there are two Prius but it isn't clear which one is being rebuilt/repaired.

We need pictures.

Bob Wilson

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    LOL... I thought the subject was pretty blatant... 2006... :)

[​IMG]

6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I missed out on this car. It was a Sunday, and I didn't have the cash. I had an appointment the following day. Turns out someone bought it during my appointment!

I got to see this car again today. The fellow who purchased it does pack work, and I bought two gen2 packs from him today for $400 each. The car looked incredible. He had it detailed getting rid of all the "kid funk" in the pack seats. We had a good laugh about it. He bought it for $2,200, swapped the pack and drove it home. Beats the heck out of a wrecker hauling it home.

Steve