1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Dbryant1732

Dbryant1732 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Base

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    So I just bought an 06 Gen I I with 244K miles on it. So far, I'm loving the car, considering I drive a out 130 miles a day for work. The radio, however does not work. If I hit the power button, it shows the audio on but absolutely no sound comes out. I've checked all the fuses that are marked audio, and they all seem fine! Any suggestions on what to check? I am fairly mechanically inclined, I just don't want to have to pull the entire dash out if I don't have to. Also, if there is anything else I should be aware of. I have never owned an hybrid, nor do I know much about them. I have changed spark plugs, coil packs, oil is brand new. Plan on changing transmission fluid soon. Any other precautioninary steps I should take?

#1 Dbryant1732, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say what exactly the problem is.(n)

3. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, I'm new to the website and trying to figure everything out lol. I just posted my questions.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    i haven't done it, but there must be a way to pull the radio out to check connections, without pulling the whole dash apart. search in the audio forum.

there's lots of maintenance you should be doing, especially if you don't have any history. look through the manual.
    air and cabin filters, all the fluids, brakes and etc.

5. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! I will have to see if I can find that post.

I do not have the owners manual, I am sure I can find it online though. I have a new air filter and cabin air coming in today, as well as a PCV valve. I know how to properly maintain a normal vehicle, just not real sure about it being a hybrid. I just need to keep it going strong for as long as possible, esp with the miles that are already on the car. It already has a new hybrid battery in it.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health, it is small and weak.

lube the driver door lock, remove the keys from the fobs and make sure they work before you need them.
    learn where the jump point is, under the hood.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can register the VIN and check for any dealer servicing here : Toyota Owners Official Web Site

You can download the manuals from here : Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

What kind of 'new' battery is in this vehicle, is that factory OEM new or something else?

A link to the gen2 audio forum : Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics | PriusChat

You might want to flag this thread (use the report button) and have it moved over to the above forum, also inquire about changing the title to reflect the radio problem/issue.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sign up here and enter your VIN to get more info on your specific car, manuals, etc.

Toyota Owners Official Web Site

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had an 06 with a similar radio problem. You can easily swap the thing out with a used unit. Ebay or autobeyours.com will have it. Swap it out in about 20 minutes or less (youtube has videos)

SFO likes this.
  10. Dbryant1732

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do greatly appreciate all the advice everyone! I will look into all of that! Thanks!!

Raytheeagle likes this.