1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Air Conditioning Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sung Woo, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I bought my 2007 with almost 100K miles on it back in November. It's been a great car, and I had various maintenance done to it and did some myself. Looks like there's a problem with the A/C -- it's just not cooling the air. Yesterday was the first day in the sixties here in NJ, and the A/C just wasn't what an A/C is supposed to do.

The car was maintained at a dealership exclusively. Here's the entry about the A/C:

05/29/2012 93,478 AIR COND. INSPECT

I called the dealer and asked exactly what they did, and they told me they inspected and recharged the system. So this was a little less than a year ago, and my guess is that it wasn't pumping cold air then, either.

From some searches on the forum, it looks like it's gonna cost me around $750 to replace the unit. I know A/Cs don't last forever -- I had to get my Honda Civic's unit replaced when it hit 90K -- but here are my questions:

1) Is there something easy I can check? I'm not a gearhead, but I have replaced the headlights and installed XM on this car myself.

2) Sounds like the dealer will charge about $250 to recharge the system. Is this worth doing if there's a leak and I gotta do this every year? My plan is to keep this car for at least another 100K miles.

3) I have a local mechanic I trust, but is this something that I should take to the dealer instead if I want the A/C replaced?

Thanks!

- Sung

2. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  3. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    can you confirm that the A/C has actually worked?

Did you make sure the a/c button is pushed and the yellow line underneath a/c is yellow?

4. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi -- yeah, the A/C button is pushed, the yellow line is underneath. I did as the previous post suggested, opened all the doors, LO temp, HIGH fan, and checked the site glass. There was nothing happening there for about a minute, and then there were some bubbles, and then pure liquid coursed through it. It's 54 degrees outside, and the air that was being pumped felt colder than that, but honestly, I don't know. I'm gonna have to take a thermometer and stick it on the vent to make sure.

The metal tube that runs fro the sight glass to what I imagine is the A/C compressor felt cold to me, too. Maybe I need a topping off of the coolant? But why would I need to do that when it was done a year ago? This indicates a leak, doesn't it?

- Sung

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say if it is low either you have a leak that needs to be fixed or they screwed it up when they worked on it the last time.

6. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it is blowing 54deg air then it is working as good as it is going to. From your description, it doesn't sound like it needs any more refrigerant. Check it with a thermometer to make sure.

7. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks, folks. I drove it today with the recirc on and the sun shining in, and it really didn't get any colder.

How do you know if the refrigerant is low? Looking at the sight glass, there's liquid in there, but how do you determine the level?

8. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It shouldn't be bubbling, but a solid liquid stream. Did you take the discharge air temp?

9. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hey folks,

Just wanted to give you an update. Went to the dealer this morning - the refrigerant was low, so they flushed and filled and added a dye to check for leaks. A/C is as cold as anything now, so it was indeed the freon. I'll return in a week to see if they can find the leak.

Cost about $200. Is this something I could've taken to my mechanic instead? I'm someone who never went back to the dealer for anything in the past with my other cars, but considering the Prius's specialty, I'm a little leery of taking it to anybody else.

- Sung

10. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would say 200 was a good deal as long as it holds a charge and u don't have any problems down the road.