1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Brake actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt98svt, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Matt98svt

Matt98svt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I am looking at a local 2007 prius that has a bad brake actuator for my wife. I have never worked on a 2nd gen prius before but have done two booster/actuator replacements now on 3rd gen cars without much difficulty. Is the process (and time involved) about the same as the 3rd gen? The bleeding process much the same? Also are the actuators the same for all 2nd gen prius or are their different part numbers for different years? Thanks in advance

2. Too Many Prii

Too Many Prii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi Matt,

I can't answer all your questions, but I replaced the actuator on my wife's 2008 2 yrs ago. I need to do the same on my 2010, and have watched a couple of YouTube videos to prepare. From what I see the Gen 2 is a bit more of a pain, mostly for having to the mostly remove the inverter. But the benefit is only replacing one part, as opposed to two on the Gen 3. I bled the brakes the old fashioned way--no TechStream--and it came out fine. I'd estimate it to be a weekend job for a first-timer, though I took longer because it was hot and buggy in August when I did it. Definitely check out the YouTube videos. Good luck! -Andy

Matt98svt likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For a generation 2 you've got to get the inverter out of the way which means you've got to take the orange plug out of the back. Quick easy things to do everything that plugs up and bolts up to the inverter can only go one way so you can't mess up the connections in the inverter they will only fit one way You can't really MacGyver it you'd be chopping up the whole harness and what have you never happen. But once the inverter is out of the way it is very fast moving from there and I like only having one part whereas in the generation 3 you're replacing both parts or you're a very good diagnostician and you've determined whatever you've determined but if you're determination is anyway faulty you're taking it all apart again and spending another 800 bucks or whatever it is to buy the part you didn't think you had to replace and if you were paying somebody to do that you would be paying for that disassembly twice One of the reasons I've kind of phased out the Gen 3 for my stable because to me it's just not worth the extra work for this series of car that's for us that's a personal thing.

Matt98svt likes this.
  4. ebikeman

ebikeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm in the same boat. Perfect 2007. Was going to go get it this morning but after research, decided not to. Just be aware, the part at autozone looks like a really cheaply made one and it's over $1,000 dollars.

Book time for a pro mechanic is over 5 hours.

ebm

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow you're saying AutoZone carries the break actuator for a generation 2 Is Is it supposed to be remanufactured? And if so by who what's it say on the box you should have taken a picture now I'm curious I have to go down there and look It looks cheaper how please explain they're all a big hunk of aluminum with a row of ports going down one side that line screw into and some plastic fitting that accepts a 5/16 like rubber hose for the brake fluid and accumulator and a pump. I will go down there tomorrow and get them to show me a picture of the one that they'll order in for me I'm sure they don't have it in stock We are pretty good size market here hell the Toyota dealer doesn't even stock this part A friend of mine a customer just bought one the other week it was going to be $1,700 at the dealer parts counter He got it online for 1430. I installed it right here. I paid two or $300 for them used I'm not buying a $1,700 anything for this car. I guess I got lucky getting a new $1,479 battery from Toyota right at the beginning of the pandemic or something certainly not going to pay much more than that today battery should be falling by the wayside by now That's the new game everybody's in the batteries that's going to power the future.