1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 brake job

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AVERAGE_J, Aug 9, 2014.

1. AVERAGE_J

AVERAGE_J New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all! I am new and need some advice. since I am not young anymore, it seems like dealers and regular mech. like to take advantage of an old lady. I am tired of getting ripped off by the dealer so I would like to be educated first before i go in. my 2007 prius is making noises when i break and when i turn the wheel. i am thinking its the breaks. can someone give me a rough range of how much a break job is for a 2007 prius. one that is only pads. one that includes resurfacing rotors.

plus, what is this drum thing i hear about on the back wheel? is the drum a brake part? please excuse my ignorance! if you have a link that can explain the brakes on a prius, it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

from an old lady that likes to drive a prius :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i can't help you with prices, but you would be better off with a local mechanic than the dealer. if you can't find a word of mouth recommendation, try AAA.com for a rated mechanic. all the best!(y)

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on the car? Here is what the brakes look like:
    Brake service
    The fronts are disk type brakes, the rears are drum types. Those are just different shapes of metal that are used to create friction but the principle is the same either way: a pad of material rubs against the metal.

There is also the possibility of a wheel bearing going bad, if indeed the noise is heard when turning. If you hear the sound more turning one way or the other, the suspect bearing is the one on the outside of the turn that produces the most sound. A mechanic could tell by jacking the wheel up off the ground and testing it for looseness.

What island are you on? Any careful mechanic can replace the brake pads if they follow the instructions. I doubt you need rotor resurfacing unless this has been going on for some time. How does the parking brake work? It only applies force to the rear drum brakes. If the parking brake works as usual, then the rear brake shoes are still good and don't need attention yet.

#3 nh7o, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi nh70,

What does 'outside of the turn' mean ?

Can a bearing be replaced without messing with the brake system ? I at least would be hesitant to have brake work done outside a dealership unless they were clearly comfortable with Prius quirks.

5. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What kind of noise do you hear when you turn and brake? is it a high pitched squeal? or is it a low pitched groan? high pitched squeal is generally the wear sensor on the brake pads coming in contact with the rotor to alert you that it's time to have brake work done.
    A low pitched groan almost like a wurr, wurr, wurr

Here is another useful video about brakes:

Average_J be safe in the approaching hurricane(s)! I heard Iselle was downgraded, but Julio should make landfall in the next few days.