1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Camry Hybrid MPG possibilities

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mwbueno, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

Hi All,

I am going to stick my neck out a little bit & offer some possible MPG figures for the new Camry Hybrid with a side by side comparison with the 04-06 Prius. Please keep in mind that these figures are based upon the Camry Hybrid's 2.4 liter ICE being of the Atkinson design. The 192 horsepower Camry Hybrid performance should be very closely to slightly better than the 04-06 Prius.

The table below is based upon the following variables:

Temperature: 88 ºF
    Elevation: 400 ft above sea level
    Humidity: 29.93 in Hg
    Load: 200 lbs.
    AC: YES
    Climate Control: 75 ºF
    Wind: 0
    Fuel: 114,500 BTU per US Gal. (Summer Blend)
    Road Rolling Resistance: .001144 (smooth asphalt)
    Tire Rolling Resistance: .0064 (Integrity @ 44/42 f/r)
    Coefficient of Drag: .26-Prius & .28-Camry
    Frontal Area: 2.16m^2-Prius & 2.28m^2-Camry

MPH....04-06PRIUS.....07CAMRY

The 2007 Camry Hybrid is going to be a beautiful, comfortable & spacious vehicle. I know the above MPG figures are completely possible, lets hope that this is close to what we get.

Best Regards,
    Wayne Brown - http://privatenrg.com

2. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure they are using a 4 cyl? I wish they would do that with the Highlander, I can't understand why you would use a v-6 in a hybrid...seems to defeat the purpose. If it gets that good mileage, I would consider trading in the Sienna for a Camry, but we always seem to be shuttling so many people around.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard this line of thought before but don't completely agree.
    While "the purpose" in a family sedan perhaps should be much less on performance and more on fuel efficiency and minimizing emissions there are other needs/purposes for vehicles out there.

An SUV, for example, is often used for towing, carrying roof-racks and other items. Some more aggressive terrain and larger cargos. To me if the choice is a less efficient conventional or a hybrid that can do the job I'll take the hybrid. But if you make the SUV something less powerful and capable than the standard model it suddenly becomes less attractive. Likewise a pick-up.

Further, to make hybrid technology universally accepted and the 'standard' you are going to have to put out vehicles in all classes that satisfy the customers in those classes. We'll need hybrid sports cars, pick-ups, luxury sedans, etc. None will come close to the fuel efficiency of the Prius style vehicle, but they'll all offer some modest improvement in MPG, some improvement in emissions, and still be widely accepted.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW..... Welcome to PriusChat Wayne! :D

5. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mwbueno,

Very impressive. I checked out your link and the information is incredible. You have the answers to many questions that I thought could only be anwered by Toyota or not at all. Especially the braking graph/pics and the possibilities of GPS to increase mpg and why my winter mpg stinks. Now I see that this is your first post, I'm blown away; where have you been hiding?

Here is one hypothetical question. If you took the Prius and shrunk it to a two seater commuter, a Toyota version of the Insight, and chop off maybe 800 pounds what do think the mpg would be?

Thank you for all your work and information, I bookmarked your link b/c it will take me a week (at least) to digest it.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

So it looks like we're looking at between 80% and 83% of the MPG of the Prius.

7. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wayne; welcome and thanks for the information. I looked at the Insite but decided I needed a car that could multitask a bit better. Meaning it could carry a Newf.

9. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Let’s build your 2 seat Prius & call it the Priette. "

75 mpg

Sweeeet.

Thanks

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The purpose of releasing the Highlander-Hybrid with a 6-cylinder system first was to end the power misconception... which clearly it did, to such an extreme that some people are unaware of just how much trouble it caused in the past. Many of the anti-hybrid took full advantage of not having a real-world clean "power" hybrid available. Now that there is, we can move on.

There will later be a 4-cylinder version for Highlander-Hybrid. After all, Highlander shares the same platform as Camry already. So taking the system for Camry-Hybrid and offering it in Highlander-Hybrid is a logical rollout step. The only thing needed now is patience.

I get comments regularly from people that discover my website, not having been aware that Prius can be spotted in traffic daily and increasing in numbers at such a quick rate. They just assumed it was hype, like the electric vehicles heard about in the past but never seeing one. Some people just don't pay attetion to the automotive market until they are ready to purchase anyway.

Purpose continues to change. Watch as the excitement builds for Camry-Hybrid. It will be quite intense, now that some misconceptions are disappearing.

11. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But the base Highlander already comes with a 4cyl. It should already be capable of handling a roof rack and light towing. Doing research for my recent car purchase, Toyota makes a wide range of 4cyl engines...or it's the same engine with some differences for performance. If you're getting an SUV to do heavy towing, off roading or hauling heavy loads, you probably need a powerful v-6 or v-8. Get a Tundra or Armada or F-150.

Wasn't there a study many years ago that said that over 90% of people use SUV's as cars? My point is that for the majority of people who want the SUV for safety, passenger capacity, high seat position etc...a four cylinder should be adequate and I'd be more inclined to get that.

When we were considering the Camry before we got the Prius, I was set on the V-6 which would of cost a few thousand more. The dealer asked what we would need that extra power for and in the end he just said the only reason for me to get it was because I wanted it. The Camry 4cyl would meet my power needs for every other reason we needed. I was impressed that he talked me out of the higher priced car.

Hopefully, one day you can buy a camry with an option of a HSD4, HSDv6, I4 or v6.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, thanks Wayne and Welcome.
    Every day I know I'm one step closer to trading in my wife's Buick Regal for a HyCam. She's even a little stoked about getting it. I sincerely hope they make the 4-cylinder version available - if not stock.

Referring to Evan's post, I agree that there need to be hybrid cars designed for the uses their owners intend. That's truly the only way they will take hold and become the popular option. I am always disappointed, though, that performance, towing, horsepower, and all that other stuff is what you hear about. What about those who want a hypermilage vehicle. That's MY intended use.

13. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I think these Camry figures are very optimistic. The Prius has a 1.5L 78-hp engine. The Camry will have a 2.4L 192-hp engine, you say. That'll hurt it for sure... but I do think it'll do much better than the Honda Accord Hybrid. The current inline-4 Camry gets 24 mpg mixed; the hybrid would do well to get 35 mpg average when driven by a normal person. 40 mpg would be really nice but probably not very likely. When Consumer Reports drove the normal and hybrid Highlanders, they got 19 mpg with the regular 3.3L V6 and 22 mpg with the hybrid. Of course I'm sure a Camry Hybrid will yield a much larger mileage increase but it won't be 80% of the Prius', that's for sure.

14. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wayne:

I believe you have a very informative and exciting program for the Prius user.

Questions

How much memory do you believe will be required to run the simulator program in the Palm environment?

Do you need any beta testers?

Regards

15. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey everybody!,

Wayne is getting 80+ mpg.

Wayne, how much would it cost to put that +18Ah set up in my car?

16. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

17. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, thanks for the estimates Wayne... can't wait to actually check one of these things out when they hit dealerships.

i'll be sending DH to your website, he can never get enough info on the prius and that will certainly enthrall him for hours.

19. mwbueno

mwbueno New Member

20. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello Wayne:

Yes, I have a Treo 650 with a gig SD card. Very familiar with the platform. I would be interested in helping in any beta program you have. Feel free to contact me directly via private mail here and I would then give you my email address. I have provided beta testing to various software and hardware products in the past. My background is in IT.

My 06 Prius is due for delivery right after the New Year. I should see it in person in about a week.

Regards