1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 driven through water now coding. How to proceed??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hopeful Prius repair, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Hopeful Prius repair

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a heavy rainstorm the other day during which my nephew was driving through an intersection and the person in front of him suddenly brakes, during this time he got water in his tailpipe. The red triangle pops up and he pulls over calls me, tells me while he is waiting that he is able to physically remove water from his tailpipe. After he does that the red triangle goes away. He takes it the next morning to get the oil changed and they do and tell him his air filter was soaked, but to drive around and try to work out the rest of the water. He goes to our local Toyota dealership and they tell him the same thing. Drive around as much as possible to get the water to work itself out.
    He drives it as much as possible. I drive it some it runs rough has poor mpg and is clanking and or rattling. I’ve ran codes on it and here’s what is coding so far

P0016–Crankshaft Position - Camshaft PositionCorrelation
    P0103–Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
    P2195–02 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean
    P3190–Manufacturer Defined

I don’t know where to start? Just in looking at the P0016 seems like it’s an engine problem
    Is this car toast? If not can anyone please advise me on where to start with this?

Thank you

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The manufacturer's definition of P3190 is "poor engine power". Three sensors can contribute to this code, the engine coolant temperature sensor, the crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor.

Given the report of driving through water, I'd inspect all the connectors of the sensors mentioned in the codes for water intrusion. If you find any wet connectors, you should clean and dry them then reconnect them. Clear the codes and test drive then rescan for new codes. I'd waterproof the connections with some dielectric grease to safeguard against water ingress in the future.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Clear the codes and see what resets after you ready up the car.

Water in the air filter is not good, ingesting a bunch down the intake will lead to engine damage - usually bent connecting rod(s).

I would not expect a P0016.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yikes, I somehow read the OP without even noticing the soaked air filter.

I guess I've never taken out and felt my air filter after driving through a heavy rainstorm. It might get noticeably damp just from that, I don't know.

For it to get really soaked, I'm thinking the nephew would have had to drive into water a lot higher than the tailpipe.

5. Hopeful Prius repair

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Honestly, I think he miscommunicated that too because I thought the thing wouldn’t work at all if that was the case. I started it today and cleared the codes. It’s knocking while the engine is running. I’m waiting to see if the codes come back but I imagine we’ll be going back to the dealership/repair shop soon.