1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 First Drive Home: Impression

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sector99, Oct 12, 2006.

1. sector99

sector99 New Member

Hi Guys:

Just a lurker...got my '07 Barcelona Red this evening (Pkg 5). Awaiting Katzkin leather.

Clearwater (Fla) Toyota folks were gushing and drooling. It was 32 miles back home 50/50 hiway & lites. Bagged 57.4 MPG with the crudest of throttle techniques and highway cruise at 59-63 mph. Got a Scangaugell ($169) and when I install it on Saturday I'm guessing I'll invoke the RPM/Manifold Pressure/MPG/Engine load (It's really Brake Mean Effective Pressure[ BMEP]) as preferred display. However, Hobbit's RPM may be all I need to keep the ICE at its sweet spot once at cruise. I found it similar to sailboat racing...

The boat gets going and as one develops the feel of waves and other conditions, it goes a bit faster. Pretty soon the boat is humming and no one can remember how it happened. It's like the boat's speed and car's mpg efficiency emerge...but only when you speak softly and treat her very nicely.

I found it difficult to achieve an uncoupled (ICE and Regen) coast or "Stealth" mode. To me it was either ICE OR Regen with very little throttle movement between but in the hour the drive took that impression was only the roughest observation. Even with my timidness I found that a smooth accelleration then full backoff of the throttle then a VERY smooth and feather light throttle advance seemed to get the tranny where it wanted to be in high BMEP condition. However, instruments will clearly make this easier.

The brakes gave a HINK of squeek. You had to listen for it.

The car looks good and drives more solidly than casual reading here would suggest. The tires at 42/40 lbs. gave no hard ride whatsoever. I came from a 2nd car Miata so I know what a hard ride is all about. I MAY get the GY Comfortreds for my long California trip (Mainly for some snow security) in Nov but I detect VERY little road noise from the GY Integrity brand (I expected much more). The seats are upright, comfortable and of course the headroom is basketball player compliant. The sound system is pretty good and i'm an iPOD guy with a music good library to enjoy across the country.

The storage UNDER the floor in the back was a pleasant surprise. Wifee and I can pack all the winter clothes we need down there on this trip.

In another life I was a 4k hour flight instructor and my son-in-law is a newbie pilot this year. He's still not convinced about the Prius, imagining the mileage is mostly hype and "BTW gas is getting cheap again".

I called him this eveing and told him my initial results and that he might not be able to HANDLE the throttle management/transmission feel skills to get optimum BMEP (Engine load) so he'd probably be better off sticking with his VW Passat.

According to my daughter, after the call he RAN out the door to the Toyota dealer.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The tiny brake squeak may be the inverter "whine" during regen. Listen carefully with the window open.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you find the hidden drawer underneath the cupholders??

Congrats on your new car!

4. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mention to the son in law, how it's not just about the MPG, but how when you stop, everything is off, and you are not polluting the earth.

Welcome to the club.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations and welcome to PriusChat! Lurking, you can learn a lot, but it's all theoretical until you have your own Prius. Systems break in and loosen up for finding the dead-band with miles. Also, be sure to check out Evan Fusco's Why Can't I Match EPA Milage Figures?

6. sector99

sector99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Oct 12 2006, 03:07 AM) [snapback]331605[/snapback]</div>
    Yup!

The Son-In-Law is greenie with Champagne tastes. He is just coming around to the idea of stop and go not hurting...but for now it's only an IDEA.

He's squirming to get a Prius now.

I'll spring the 94 MPG for 2008 model(s) a bit later.

chaio

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And give him your old Prius right? lol

8. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sector99 @ Oct 12 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]331702[/snapback]</div>
    huh?
    I'd like to get a upgrade from my '05 Prius that now has 16k miles.
    What is this 94mpg referring to?

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new Prius! Glad to hear you're enjoying getting the hang of driving it, I've found the Prius to be a very fun car to drive.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sector99 @ Oct 11 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]331562[/snapback]</div>
    I agree wholeheartedly with your comparison of a Prius with a racing sailboat; lovely! I think they're also a bit like ocean kayaks, too, for the same reasons.

It's not about 'power over', it's 'power with.'

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Oct 12 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]331749[/snapback]</div>
    94mpg US = 110mpg Imp. It's the 110mpg (Imperial) that is supposedly possible with the next gen Prius under the Japanese 10-15 cycle. Do note that the current Prius gets the equivalent of 83.5mpg US under the Japanese test cycle so it's just a 10mpg improvement.