1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Ford Shelby GT500

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Rancid13, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ford website.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

...as a prior and current owner of various Mustangs, one of which was a Cobra ( :cry: ), I have to say, this is the BEST looking Mustang generation in a loooong time....

...although I do like the way they talk about it as "affordable"... yeah, ok, I'm sure this thing will have a 40k+ price tag. So yeah, "affordable" as in, less-than-a-Ferrari, but a WEEEE bit more than the 18K or so V6 starter model....

3. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They are gorgeous! I agree! :D

(Back in the 70's my mom had a 1965 blue convertible Mustang that my dad made her sell so they could buy a more commute-friendly car, a Mazda GLC. He said the 'stang was a piece of junk. She will never let him forget what he did and still reminds him of that 'classic' car to this day)

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I wonder what that car would sell for today. Of course, maintaining it and keeping it in mint condition for thirty years would offset the profit, depending on how much time and money went in to it, obviously.

5. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who knows? She said at the time she owned it (mid-70's) it was still in mint condition at around 10 years old. Who knew that a decade or 2 later it would be considered a prized classic? :)

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on the Barrett-Jackson Auction just held in Scottsdale, and this is just my uniformed guess because I didn't see one sold: (and it's more than you wanted to know anyway)

I would estimate that a '65 Mustang convertable in absolutely "good as new" condition if it is completely original (i. e. same engine, transmission, etc that it left the factory with) and if you have documentation including the build sheet (or gate pass for a Ford) to prove all of that, and if it has a 289 V8 preferably the 271 H.P. solid lifter version and a GT package, would do pretty well. It would most likely bring 70K to 100K.

There was a '65 Shelby GT-350 (a fastback, there was no Shelby convertable in '65) which went for 311K as I recall. Most of the announcers seemed to think it was "well bought" meaning it should have sold for more. There were only about 500 Shelby's built in '65 and they are considered to be the "purest" of all the Shelby Mustangs. The newer Shelby GT-500 convertables went for around 500K unless they had some kind of special history.

On the other hand a lesser equipped '65 without documentation and not in such good shape would be worth only what someone would pay for it. Maybe a few thousand up to 10 or 20K.

This auction was a real nostalgia trip for me, I just watched it on TV I wasn't there in person. Next year I plan on going for real, I'll drive down in my Prius. I'm not going to buy a car because I'm just not into investing that much money in a collector car (or any car) and I don't have the knowledge to make such a purchase. Besides I'd be afraid to drive the car if I had one. But for an old guy that has always been interested in cars, and has actually owned some that are similar to what is being sold, it should be a great vacation.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my stepdad had an 02 mustang cobra. it was his midlife crisis car, well that and then the 03 camaro he traded it for... :lol:

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I sort of know how she feels. I could have sold my GM stock back when it was $45 per share but noooooooooooooo :angry:

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this really the "new" 2007 model? Looks more like 1967 to me. <_< :D

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes it really is. They had, I think, this very car at the auction. They didn't sell this car as it is just a prototype but they put it up on the block and sold what will be the first one to come off the assembly line in the fall (summer according to the article). Edsel Ford drove the car in and Carol Shelby was riding with him, the proceeds went to the Shelby Children's Fund, it sold for 600K. I think they said the car will be priced in the hi 40s or low 50s, sounds low to me.