1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 GEN 2 - weak HV battery but the modules are ok

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cosminman, May 8, 2017.

1. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I have a strange problem with my Prius, and since I live in Eastern Europe (Romania), we do not have many proficient hybryd mechanics, so... here is my problem:

Couple weeks ago, when driving arround the town, I got a ABS, VSC and (!) sign. I noticed that the brakes were a little weaker. I pulled over, restarted the car and the problem vanished. Everything went ok for few days, than it happened again. Same procedure got me rid of the warning lights and the brakes were ok.

3 days ago, driving in the city, and the ABS, VSC and (!) apperared. Also, there was the red triangle and check engine. I read about the failing 12v battery and checked it, it is ok, healthy and sound ( I checked it at a local automotive battery shop, where they have some special diagnose tools for batteries, they told me it is top notch. After some 30 minutes I started the car again and all the errors were gone.

Yesterday I drove arround 180 miles to a nearby city. I was cruising at arround 60 mph and accelerated to 70 in order to pass a slower vehicle. Than it happened: the ICE revs went up, and I felt a sudden loss of power. Also, the red triangle and check engine light appeared and, on the mfd, the red car with !. The charge status on the MFD turned to the last two purple bars. Pulled over, restarted but the warning lights remained there. Drove again, and the battery was charging much more slower, and if I hit a speed above 60mph it started to deplete. Also, when a hill was reached, the battery discharged and I ended up going uphill with only the ICE, making a lot of noise and just barely crawling.
    Reached destination, and returned after some 2 hours. All the errors dissapeared, but the weak battery simptoms continued, and there are present to the day. No more errors on the obd reader (I use Torque) nor on the dash.

I remembered I had home an Chinese OBDII reader, so the next day I pulled the codes, and only one was found: P3190 (power train). Another odd issue is that, when I check the HV battery voltage via the torque app, it shows some errors. some of the modules show a normal 16-17v voltage, and others (actually 10 of them) show -322,5 V.

I considered it has to do with some HV battery cells giving up, even if I did not hear the cooling fan, as I read it should happen when a HV battery fails and starts to overheat. Took out the HV battery today and checked the voltage, all seem ok. Also, I did a load test for one minute on each cell, with a 110W load (2 H7, 55w bulbs) and did not find any strange voltage drop, results below:

cell initial voltage/ voltage alfter load / voltage drop
    1 7,87 7,69 0,18
    2 7,87 7,69 0,18
    3 7,87 7,67 0,2
    4 7,87 7,66 0,21
    5 7,87 7,66 0,21
    6 7,87 7,66 0,21
    7 7,86 7,66 0,2
    8 7,86 7,65 0,21
    9 7,85 7,64 0,21
    10 7,85 7,66 0,19
    11 7,86 7,65 0,21
    12 7,86 7,65 0,21
    13 7,85 7,66 0,19
    14 7,86 7,65 0,21
    15 7,86 7,66 0,2
    16 7,85 7,65 0,2
    17 7,86 7,65 0,21
    18 7,85 7,65 0,2
    19 7,85 7,65 0,2
    20 7,85 7,65 0,2
    21 7,86 7,65 0,21
    22 7,85 7,64 0,21
    23 7,85 7,65 0,2
    24 7,85 7,65 0,2
    25 7,85 7,65 0,2
    26 7,86 7,66 0,2
    27 7,87 7,66 0,21
    28 7,88 7,69 0,19

The battery pack seems to be ok. What could have caused this? The car starts ok, drives ok, but when I hit a hill, the battery depletes very quick ( in a matter of 0.8-1 mile). When I go downhill it charges ok, I see even green bars if the descent is longer than 2 miles, but it seems that it charges slower than it did before.

Other things I checked were the 12 v battery, the hybryd coolant pump, all work fine.

I suspect 2 possibilities:
    1 - I have a battey ECU failure, but then why does it not throw codes?
    2- being a 2007, 168.000 Miles, the battery could be worn, so it can't hold the charge? but then, why did it happen all of a sudden? Would a regeneration of each cell help?

What do you think?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your OBDII device link to an app such as Torque so you can see Delta SOC value?
    If so, a value above 20 would point ot a bad battery. Low capacity.

If you had another tool like minivci and techstream then you could also test the fan.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  3. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I will have to check on that.
    Would a low capacity battery benefit from a cell regeneration/rebalance? Or it would be pointless?

4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have the equipment it may be worth a try.
    But often it can simply me too old.
    Hard to say.
    Carefully check all the voltage sensing wires for corrosion or breaks.
    Also check the harness connector at the battery computer.
    Also check the white battery fan connector on the right of the fan.
    Sometimes corrosion gets into that connector from a roofline leak.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a way to check the fan without powering the car? I do not remember to have heard it ever. If battery is weaka,it should heat up when beeing pushed to the limit I recon

Trimis de pe al meu LG-D858HK folosind Tapatalk

6. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remembered something, when I openwd the battery, there was some corosion on the bus bars (copper plates) and on the nuts. Can that be a sign of a bad battery or is somewhat normal? Does it help to clean that corosion?

7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Corrosion is common.
    Sometimes it interferes with the battery's performance. Sometimes it doesn't.

You state in your first post that some of the cell block voltages are way out of range. - 322,5. This sounds more like a broken/non-working sensors. Having one break would be common. Having 10 break all at once does not seem realistic. Is there corrosion at the orange computer connector inside the battery?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've just ch checked' no corrosion at the orange connector...
    Could all these be symptoms of a bad battery ECU?

iPad ?

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could be a possibility.
    Do you have access to another Prius that you could "borrow" it out of for a day?

10. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately no. I am programmed tomorrow for a scan at the local Toyota dealer, let's see what cods will they pull. Anyway, I am determined to do a battery regeneration by using rc chargers and hope things will be better then.

iPad ?

Meg&Bear and bisco like this.
  11. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So... Been to the dealer. He tested it for couple hours bit no code popped. Road tested twice. First time we went uphill and when the battery emptied, it continued on the gas engine. Sluggish as a snail, as everybody knows they go on gas only. Put it on tester and then again road test, the battery got full charge. So he told me that the inverter is ok,it charges the battery.
    They sent me home and told me to come back when the errors reappear on dashboard.
    One more interresting thing, he daid that given the mileage and the oil consumption, could be that the ICE is too weak to charge the battery when i go uphill? And that is why it wont charge uphill?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Happened again... 20170510_184043.jpg 20170510_184047.jpg Screenshot_2017-05-10-18-43-14.png

Meg&Bear likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd want to scan this with techstream right now and see the freeze frame data that is stored.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  14. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealer has opening for schedule only next week. Does this freeze frame data remain saved somwhere until then, or I should hurry somehow?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It will remain in the system. Important part is to NOT clear the code.
    Do not let 12v battery run down.

If it were me, I might try a few things at home first.
    They will not affect the codes.

With the car off.
    Clean the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). Use MAF cleaner only!
    Clean the MAF connector. Use electrical cleaner.
    Clean the throttle body. Use carburetor cleaner.
    Sop up extra oil in the intake. Use a lint free rag.

Hopefully you can obtain these cleaners from a local parts store.
    Instructions for doing these services yourself are on PriusChat or a google search.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  16. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your patience and goodwill, I will Clean those. The cleaners are available locally. Would these i probe the power of the engine?

iPad ?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It can cause non-start problems.
    And sometimes power issues.

Since they are relatively easy to do at home, and cost very little money, it would be something I would try.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  18. cosminman

cosminman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All these errors that I get... could it simply be the HV battery and nothing else? The simptoms seem to be similar to what other people from the forum get when their battery is finished. The guys from the Toyota dealer alre clueless in what to do, tommorow they will check the p 3190 error by doing a compression test. But they stated clear that the HV battery does not have anything to do with this issue, altought the HB Battery sign on the MFD is pretty clear...

Meg&Bear likes this.
  19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you easily buy a used Hybrid Battery ecu for a reasonable price? Or borrow one?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  20. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think it's just the HV battery. It sure sounds like an engine problem, given the code you're getting.

I agree cleaning the MAF is a good place to start. That has noticeably improved power and performance for me on other cars, so it's part of my maintenance on the Prius.

Meg&Bear likes this.