1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Gen2 A/C won't take refrigerant - no techstream codes - 21/76 on console

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jeff_the_computer_guy, Jul 29, 2023.

1. jeff_the_computer_guy

jeff_the_computer_guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I've read through several threads on A/C and have serviced A/C in non-hybrids.

Getting no DTC on my normal set of OBD sensors, but on the console check I am getting 21 (solar sensor) and 76 (low refrigerant, among other possibilities). Got some refrigerant and my vacuum pump and went to town. System held vacuum just fine, so no leaks, went to put refrigerant in and it took a small amount and then stopped.

I've seen this on other cars and had to jump start the compressor to start pulling more refrigerant in. I know how to do this on a prius but saw some conversation about how techstream can show better diagnostic data. So got techstream 18 up and running, talking to the car, but can't get any info (including real time data) on the a/c system. Is this a user problem with techstream or am I back to trial and error to fix my A/C?

Techstream is showing me a lot less that the other scanners I use (even torque pro), very disappointing unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for sharing experience.

- Jeff

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't know they were up to TIS 18 already. That may be a pirated copy or something I don't know You should be able to look in at your air conditioner with TIS installed and see the compressor RPM and all of that kind of thing I mean it's not going to tell you anything that lots of other things can't tell you especially about your air conditioning system I mean anyway generally it's like a regular compressor instead of being driven by a belt and a clutch It's got an inverter motor inside of it once you pull a vacuum on that system you should have enough vacuum in the system to suck in enough gas to start the compressor easily easily so I'm not sure what you have going on the serious leak that's letting the vacuum go but if you service air conditioners before I'm sure that's not happening so I'm not sure exactly what you have going on these inverter compressors are actually a lot easier to work on than the business with the belt and the clutch and all the other nonsense here all you need is a power supply and the compressor works If you have an HV battery that's working and what have you then you should have compressor operation happening whether it's pumping and making cold that's another story that has nothing to do with TIS or anything else just with the motor inside the compressor.