1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 - Getting Dead Car into Neutral

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mhonkomp3712, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mhonkomp3712

mhonkomp3712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a dead 12v battery and the car is positioned in the garage such that jumping the battery in the car's current position will be difficult.
    How do I get a dead car into neutral so that I can move it for jumping the battery?
    Thanks!!!
    Mike

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike,

I don't know the answer to your question.

But if I were you, I would get a jumper box from an auto parts store, and use that to jump your 12v (follow the instructions in your owner's manual for jumping the car under the hood where there is a positive terminal connection point under a red door under the front fuse box by the driver side headlamps. The jumper box comes in handy. I keep mine under my front passenger seat.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It cannot be shifted to Neutral when OFF. You'll either have to jump it or replace the battery where it is, or drag it out.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I don't think I understand. You can jump the 12V system from the front or the rear. Front jump point is in the fusebox on the drivers side under the hood. It's covered by a red "flip-up" plastic cover once the fusebox lid is off. Use a bolt on the firewall above for -ve.
    To jump from the rear, crawl into the hatch over the rear seat (easiest if you fold it down). Lift up the hatch floor, and at the base of the hatch door, in the centre, there is a shiny lever that you actuate to release the hatch lock. Then you can get at the 12V battery, on the right side as you face the hatch, under the floor. Remove the hatch floor and the cargo box under that, then the cover over the right side and you will see the battery.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You don't. You either apply power to shift into neutral, or skid the wheels, with or without a dolly.

Tom

7. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

And, I believe it is also possible for the 12v to be so dead that even jumping it won't get the Prius to power on.

It is also a major project to get the back hatch open when the 12v is dead too.

I would add my suggestion to anybody with a battery 4 or more years old to get the Optima replacement battery and change it out before getting into problems that could be avoided. And I would also avoid ever trying to jump start a Prius with any other vehicle, and I would never let anybody else hook up jumper cables to the Prius.