1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 had to be towed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by torresr001, Jun 29, 2008.

1. torresr001

torresr001 New Member

:(My 2007 with about 5500 miles on it was towed to the dealer today on the way home here in Honolulu. I was on the freeway going up on a slight hill about 60 mph when I tried to accelerate a little, nothing happened so I pressed the pedal pretty hard and nothing doing and it started to slow down a little, so I pulled over as quick as I could to get to the shoulder safely. Once there I noticed the red triangle warning was lit up and then the check engine light lit up. Called my salesman and described the problem and he recommended having it towed to the dealer. Managed to get it towed there in time to get a dealer loaner car.(6PM on Saturday). Previously no problems at all and car runs strong - kind of surprised with this problem. I won't have any clue on the problem until Monday at the earliest.
    rt

2. cyee

cyee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you run out of gas? :p

3. cyee

cyee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Damn Double post... :mad:

4. torresr001

torresr001 New Member

:DHalf a tank of gas and oil level in engine was right.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you pulled over to the side of the freeway, did you turn off the car, then try to restart it? Perhaps a "reboot" might avoid the need for a tow, although the underlying problem needs to be identified and resolved.

6. torresr001

torresr001 New Member

:eek:After I pulled over, I shut off the car and waited a while and then restarted it. The dashboard lit up and the red triangle and check engine light came on. Did this about two more times with same results. That's when it seemed like a tow was in order.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When there is a problem with the car might I recommend calling the Service Dept. instead of Sales. I believe the people in Service would offer a higher quality level of help. Haven't heard of a Service Dept so slow that the mechanics spend time on the showroom floor.

8. torresr001

torresr001 New Member

Guess I should have mentioned that at 5-6PM on a Saturday, the service dept was way passed closing time but I knew I could reach my salesman on his cell phone...he advised the tow job (AAA came through)and also arranged for us to get a loaner car from the dealership with the assistance of one of his associates in the internet sales dept and had him wait for us to get there with the tow truck! He really helped to make stressful situation much easier. Thanks Rodel!

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For all the complaints about Servco I've read on other threads, it looks like Rodel came through for you. That's great! I hope it's something minor and you're driving by Monday afternoon.

10. torresr001

torresr001 New Member

Re: 2007 had to be towed-Update

I got my car back after two days at the dealer to assess and fix. Verbatim follows from the invoice:

Cause: DTC P3190, P3191, P0A0F
    DP3199 verified check engine light is on due to DTC P3190, P3191, P0A0F. Check throttle motor, no response. Manually open throttle, vehicle started.
    3804 WT3
    FC: 8a/99
    Part# diagnostic

Chk fuel pressure, ign spark, maf, cam/crank sensor, no problem found. Codes P0A0F-engine fail to start P3190-poor engine power P3191-engine fail to start in memory, check for fuel pressure, ignition spark, maf, crank sensor, cam sensor, throttle motor no response from throttle motor clear codes, manually open throttle car started up. Road tested. OK to have customer monitor.

So for whatever reason the throttle motor just froze up - no sign of carbonization (I asked). Wiggling it loose is all it took to fix this problem this time.

Car drives normal again - no problems.
    rt:)

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re: 2007 had to be towed-Update

Thanks for the update. Hmm, if they can't figure out why the throttle motor "froze up", then the problem might happen again at an inopportune place.