1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 hatchback 1.5: Puddle in rear driver-side footwell

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SarcasticFringehead, Oct 2, 2024 at 8:04 AM.

1. SarcasticFringehead

SarcasticFringehead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone,

This morning I drove my 2007 Prius for the first time in 16 days. I drove it for about an hour.

When I got home, I saw this in the rear driver-side (right-hand) footwell:

:eek:

IMG_5452.jpg

It was not raining while I was driving. I keep the car parked on the street, and my region has had the rainiest September in recorded history, and we have had multiple yellow alerts for rain in the past week.

It's possible that the puddle was there when I set out, and I just didn't see it. I throw my handbag back there while I'm driving, and I only noticed it when I went to pick up the bag. That is also how I know the puddle was not there the last time I drove the car.

I called up a body shop that I trust. They previously have saved me from puddles in the passenger footwell by noticing that a plug was missing, so I thought they might be able to help this time. But they said it was beyond their expertise.

I called up my usual garage and will take it to them tomorrow. However, they don't specialize in this kind of thing. So I thought I should ask here. I see that some people have had comparable experiences, but without any definitive answers that I could find.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Did you find the source of the leak?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The leaking is most likely coming from a seam seal material drying out and cracking at the point where the roof panel is joined to the rear hatch panel. This is the most common failure causing leaking in the Gen 2.

See this thread for more info and pictures.

There are other threads if you want to use the Advanced Search feature with the keywords Rear Leak and limit your search to Gen 2 threads (and their children) only.

All the best in getting it fixed.