1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 HID Problems - Even After Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by adamthole, Nov 8, 2009.

1. adamthole

adamthole New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius Touring Edition package 2. It has the HID headlights. About 2 or 3 months ago the passenger side bulb started going out randomly on the road. To get it to turn back on, all I had to do was turn the lights off, then back on again. Then they would seem to continue to work for the rest of my trip.

I (of course) searched PriusChat, and came across windstrings' post that seemed to outline exactly the problem I was having. I ordered 2 new HID bulbs (that match the type my Prius uses) from eBay and replaced them. No problems for 3 months. Then just the other night, I get pulled over. Passenger side headlight out. I turn the lights off, then back on, and it kicks right back on. The problem is back :(

What should my next step be? I've considered swapping the bulb locations to see if the problem persists. What should I do if I swap the bulb locations and continue to have the same problem on the same side? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Priusfromevil

Priusfromevil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sitting at my Toyota dealer as i write this. I took my '06 Prius in due to potential alignment issue. As the SM and I were driving the car around I asked about this exact issue. He said he has seen the ballasts cause problems here, and that it would be covered under a bumper to bumper warranty.
    Not sure where you're located but this is Ed Morse Toyota in Delray Beach, FL. I have nothing but good things to say about these guys. SM is Howie, nice guy.
    Hope this helped even just a little.
    Jeremy

1 person likes this.
  3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great first post, evil is right... go to your dealer, if they won't help go to another dealer, search the forum for some of the threads about the poor quality of the bulbs a ballasts so you have full information on the situation, contact toyota directly if you have to, but first be informed.
    :welcome:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's the interaction between the bulbs and ballasts. The Toyota ballasts are a bit weak when it comes to operating voltage. Some of the Ebay replacement bulbs will work with the lower voltage, but it's not a sure thing. As the bulbs age they need more voltage. Reportedly Toyota has new replacement bulbs that fix the problem, but this information is unverified at the moment.

Tom