1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 High Mileage Prius - Oil Level/Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sdrocker, Feb 6, 2015.

1. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On level ground I checked the oil and it was exactly in between the low and full mark. The oil looked clean on the dipstick.

The oil was changed 11/18/14 when it had 161,290 miles. Right now it has 163,040 miles. Does it seem reasonable to have gone halfway in the 1750 miles since the last oil change? I'm assuming it would have been at the full mark after the oil change.

I should fill to just below the full mark with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 correct and check the level after every time i fill the tank up with gas?

For this many miles, how often should I change the oil? 3k miles? I bought the Prius one week ago and would probably keep it one more year (about 10k more miles on it) before considering selling it and getting a newer prius when I have more cash to play with.

I posted some of this info in other threads. Based on my needs a Prius may not have been the best fit, however I like the look of them with stickers all on the rear window, I hate the look of all newer cars (I'm a hot rod enthusiast) so I chose the Prius mostly for cosmetics and because it would make me much more likely to take trips around San Diego county since it has better mpg.

Thanks.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can't be sure it was filled to the full mark at the last oil change, so drive it and check it at the next thousand mile mark
    to see if it has used any more oil, if it has, fill it, but be very careful not to overfill it. 5 thousand miles between oil changes should be ok.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with mun, ^^^ but i would check it at every gas fill up as you suggested. remember to let it sit awhile so the oil drains down into the pan. not sure about adding mobil 1 if you get low, unless you know that's what's in there.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Without knowing more you can’t really know. If a lot of old oil is left when changing then it might be just it that’s going. Or it might not even be filled to top mark. And also Prius oil tends to take time to drain back to oil pan so some of it may still not be in oil pan. And you don’t even know what oil is in it. Just fill it to just below top mark and check it every fill-up. You can draw better conclusions at next oil change interval.

If you use synthetic oil you can go at least 5k miles. But now you don’t even know what’s in it?

Probably you can use it trouble free after first problems for many times longer than one year or 10k miles.

5. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I know where the oil change was done so I could ask.

Now if we did assume that it was at top mark, for it to go half way in 1750 miles, would that sound normal for a 163k Prius? I'm just curious. I will definitely keep track after the next oil change and keep it at just below full level.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, depending on your def of normal, there are plenty of threads here from high mileage pri and burning oil. not a big issue, just something to keep on top of.

7. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have 07 with 235K, I drive about 125 miles a day, I check oil level every 2 weeks. I usually am about a quart low, because of the high mileage and useage, I no longer use synthetic oil.

8. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My car doesn't burn any oil, but I always keep the oil level halfway between the "full" and "add" marks. That minimizes the amount of oil vapor that gets into the intake via the crankcase vent (which can pool in the manifold and produce inconsistent starts). If you use three quarts with a new filter, that's the dipstick reading you'll get.

Depending on who did the last oil change, they may have followed the same practice I have used since we bought our 2001 Prius nine years ago.

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1/2 a quart in 2k isn't bad. don't worry about mixing oil. synth isn't gonna hurt it. when the maint light comes on, change it with your favorite synthetic oil and drive the hell out of it.

10. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    synthetic s/b able 2 go 10k miles. change my oil at 5k, looks pretty clean w/dino oil. am thinking of going to mobile 1 04 165k burns no oil but worried it might then start burning, kinda worried . dont change horses in the middle of the stream comes to mind. actual proof syn oil lasts longer?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i changed from dino to synthetic in my 72 fiat with over 100,00 miles. it would still be running if all the metal body parts hadn't dissolved.

12. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just to clarify, that the motor itself would show less wear in the long run/ I know slipperier and better mpg

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    synth clings to the metal, so on every start, there's already lubrication. unlike dino which is all down in the pan, waiting to be pumped back up.

14. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks I'm going to keep it at the halfway mark between the two marks and just monitor it every single gas fill up which I predict to be every two weeks.

I will use Mobil 1 synthetic unless someone says I shouldnt. At 163k I don't know what is best but I know everyone might have a different opinion.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My opinion is if your car is burning oil,then maintain the oil at the full mark. You are asking for trouble if you leave it half full

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Oh ok. I was just going by classic_pri's advice:

"
    My car doesn't burn any oil, but I always keep the oil level halfway between the "full" and "add" marks. That minimizes the amount of oil vapor that gets into the intake via the crankcase vent (which can pool in the manifold and produce inconsistent starts)"

I guess I should just keep the level slightly below full?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could check it more often and eliminate any concern. it only takes a minute before you get up and go. after awhile, you'll have a feel for it.

18. sdrocker

sdrocker Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I check it quite frequently is it better to keep it at the half way mark or slightly below full? I can see the point that classic_pri makes.

19. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the response bisco/others used to run in porsche (syn) seemed it weeped around seals etc. miata mechanic I know says all blown motors he has seen ran synthetic, obviously not scientific. can get mob 1 for around 4.70/qt. thinking of buying a bunch then finding bunch of filters/ lot of long driving, was in az yesterday. would go to 10k changes

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never heard of an inconsistent start from a prius that resulted from oil at the full mark. Toyota would get sued

If your car burns oil and you routinely keep it half full, forgetting to check once in a while can mean serious damage when it runs low.

Some cars burn 1 qt or more per 1000 miles. If you keep it half full and go on a trip that's 1000 miles, you would end up below the low Mark

edthefox5 likes this.