1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 key fob breaking down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Balrog, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Balrog

Balrog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    rule one of key fobs: NeVer run them through the washer! they are NEVER that dirty. Although if one contemplates the dirt factor of money, fobs can't be that far behind. The odds of all these years of electronic hardware in the pockets finally caught up to me. It happened.

Now my fob has lost its mind. It is randomly issuing "lock the doors" commands to the car, which makes it entertaining to travel with. Just for fun there are random intervals of behaving itself. This winter I leashed my fob in my parka after I got the quote from the dealer of $500 to replace it. Couldn't risk losing that thing out in the fields. This spring has been fun, I'm going to need a backpack to deal with all the electronics since the red parka with all the pockets will clash with the green grass.

I punished the fob in solitary with sealed bag with 3lbs of rice to see if drying it out would help, no. A million grains of rice can't be all wrong. i've been catching up on the secret life of the prius and it's key fobs in the forum. Entertaining reading. seems the fobs like to get around and sleep with all your other electronic devices and drain themselves, leaving you no love in the morning. You also can't leave the fob in the same room with the prius otherwise the same mayhem will occur. With all that nocturnal interaction one would hope for baby fobs, thus reducing the dealership prices.

The upshot of all this is: cheap cases and guts of fobs on the 'net if you know what to buy. could someone make a video of swapping the parts of the '07 fob? I can do things like this, but I don't have a great track record of not breaking fiddly bits w/o good video instruction. I'm also dirt poor despite having a small energy footprint as humanly possible.

xliderider likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you crack it open and run a hairdryer over it?

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you replace the battery?

4. thzpcs

thzpcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's simple. Just crack the old one open, and transfer the parts over. Although, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's probably toast...