1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 mold problem??? How about 2008???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bayareapriusdriver, Aug 18, 2008.

1. bayareapriusdriver

bayareapriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, my 2008 Prius does what most of you are talking about. Smells like stinky socks -- but this happens only after I turn the A/C off and am just running the fresh air vent. Process of elimination led to just running the fresh air vent until the stinkiness disappeared. And it eventually does. Oh, and I'm in Northern CA. Not a humid place.

So -- because there are SO many posts to try and sort through, I'm still unclear about one thing:

What exactly have the dealers done when anyone has brought a car in to them for that problem???

(Besides laugh and lie.)

I'm not going to be fixing anything myself, so I'd like to be prepared for when I bring it in to have them check the necessary bits and pieces. I'd like to have an idea of what exactly should be done.

Thanks ahead of time!

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, to quickly answer your question: most dealers will either tell you "no problem found" or will upsell you some pungent stuff to mask the mold/mildew

3. bayareapriusdriver

bayareapriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Been offline for a while...

Yeah, I guess that's what one would expect!

I tried the suggestion that someone posted about turning on the heater after the A/C and it did seem to get rid of the smell quicker than just running unheated air thru -- which is what I've been doing.

I have to agree with others -- I shouldn't have to do that at all!

Toyota might get a letter.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2007 Prius also in No CA has had no problems like that. But our 2002 Camry SE just started having it, didn't before ever. It seems to happen after using AC on short trips then next day, not using AC, has the slight smell. It isn't that bad though. It isn't a Prius only event. The air has been very dusty/smoky, and a lot of pollen, maybe that has something to do with it.