1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Ordered: Question about leather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Suitt, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Waiting for a 2007 Pkg #6- Option A. Trading my 2004 22K miles.

In the "factory" leather, can anyone here confirm what surfaces are covered? I'm aware that the 'seating surfaces' are, but what about the armrests and console cover?

It appears that 2007's "available" in Texas right now do not yet include the Pkg 5 and 6, so I have a bit of a wait.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    synthetic on armrest and console

sides of the seats are vinyl.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ;) THANKS, Tideland Prius

That's what I suspected. Do you know about the seat backs - Synthetic or Leather?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That I don't know. I know on our Camry, the seatback leather wraps over the top of the seats so we still got some leather on the back. I can't remember how the leather seats are designed on the Prius. If it's anything like the design pattern of the cloth seats, then it's probably synthetic. You won't get a full leather seat til you spend about 2x the price of a loaded Prius (in USD) I would think.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just took another look @ my 2006 with option #8 (leather); the leather surfaces go to the sides of the seats and over the tops (past the headrests). everything else is vinyl. The leather portions are perforated. I do believe that the Prius is more comfortable to sit in than my Avalon XLS, which also has leather seating. The smell of leather just can't be beat, IMHO.

6. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 05 with leather installed at an aftermarket shop and an 06 with factory leather. I like the 05 leather better. The 05 has leather all the way around the seat including the back as well as armrests and center console. The 06 just has leather on the seating surfaces only and is about 1/2 the thickness of the aftermarket leather. I spent 1800$ on the leather in the 05 and I would do it again in a heartbeat as opposed to factory installed.
    -Paul R. Haller-

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Oct 18 2006, 02:46 AM) [snapback]334314[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you. My black 2006 has factory leather, and I ordered a mag grey 2007 w/o leather so I could go aftermarket. (I also want black leather, and seat heaters underneath.)

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Most cars that come with leather come with "leather seating surfaces". That means the centre panel on the seat bottom and the centre panel on the seat back. The rest is imitation leather - it's hard to tell because it has gotten so good, but if you can look on the underside you can see as the imitation stuff usually has cloth backing.

The aftermarket leather can come with whatever you want. They will make to order - price varying of course, as you ask for more leather. The aftermarket leather is usually less expensive than the factory stuff. You can also get the door armrests covered and the console too. Some kits come with them standard, some you have to order as extras.

Be aware, you have airbags in the driver and front passenger seat outside bolsters. They have to use breakaway stitching there to allow the bags to deploy properly.

9. azguy

azguy New Member

Can someone clarify the word "leather". Leather from an "animal" or "synthetic leather".

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azguy @ Oct 18 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]334687[/snapback]</div>
    leather - the real stuff
    leatherette - vinyl (leather look alike)
    synthetic leather - well, it's synthetic.
    vinyl - well, it's vinyl. not sure what's the difference between this and leatherette. Maybe leatherette is vinyl with leather patterns??

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got after-market leather that was manufactured by Katzkin (www.Katzkin.com) - it covers front and rear seats, headrests, center console and arm rests. My price, including installation, was $995, and it was done through my Toyota dealer. Someone else on Prius Chat said the same dealer is now offering that package for $200 more. Still a good price, and I'm very pleased with it.

12. azguy

azguy New Member

I guess I asked the question incorrectly. Does the PRIUS use real leather?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes but not for the entire seat. Only the surfaces you would sit on.

14. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(azguy @ Oct 18 2006, 07:17 PM) [snapback]334846[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

azguy -

I think it depends. From what I read on PriusChat, I think some do get real leather. My dealer in the Bay Area, said they would install leather. WRONG! They used Naugahyde! I discovered this about a week or two later. I checked under the back of the front seats & discovered fabric backing. Most cows don't have fabric backing under their hides?

Good luck,

15. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Oct 19 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]335428[/snapback]</div>
    The Katzkin leather interior kit can be optionally ordered with all-leather surfaces for a significant upcharge (a few hundred dollars). The standard kit is leather on the seating surfaces only. As far as I can tell, this includes the entire front surface, including the bolsters (the outboard panels) not just the seat centers. I say this because the seat sides and back in the standard kit are obviously vinyl, and the bolsters do not appear to be the same material. I have perforated centers so I can't compare the material used in the centers against that used on the bolsters.

Sounds to me like you just got a normal kit that doesn't use leather on the seat sides or backs.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 20 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]335430[/snapback]</div>
    The normal kits seems pretty good and matches factory standards.