1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 p3023 code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by whatever, Feb 12, 2024.

1. whatever

whatever Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I replace bank 13 does it need to be recoded

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't think the battery is coded You change the modules It would be to your advantage to clean all the bus bars and nuts the bus bars originally were copper You know that color. And the nuts are a goldish silver color now they'll have little pieces of like frosting on them like salt on the nuts literally You can put all those things in a child's rock tumbler It's a toy with the right abrasive tumble them about an hour and they'll be like brand new then they need to be washed off with acetone stoddard solution from the dry cleaning industry something I guess you could use xylene then remove let them drip dry or below them off and reinstall when you break open the pack if you see any traces of white residue on the diamond silver sides of the modules I would suggest you stop and get a count of how many of those there are and maybe replace those somewhere there's a leak no matter how small it is or if it's not doing it now something is leaked You need to straighten that out on the few modules I've replaced when I found the leaking I would replace the module on each side of the module I'm working on just to be sure I could spend a lot of time testing and all that but it's not worth my time get them out of there and replace them no problem The person I'm getting my modules from I can trust and he generally won't hand them to me unless he knows things are correct and within spec. I don't believe there's any recoating or relearning once you fix your HV battery and put it back in the car and bolt it down and connect it and all that things should just work You may have to clear the codes to get the car to ready but that's not really recoding anything.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The high voltage battery is made up of 14 blocks. Each block has two modules. Each sealed module has six 1.2V NiMh cells. All in series.

So that's 14 x 2 x 6 x 1.2V for 201.6V (nominal).

The high voltage battery ecu monitors the voltage of each block. If any one block is more than around 0.3V higher or lower than the others for more than "a few seconds", the ecu will set codes. The higher that voltage difference is, the quicker it will code.

The usual failure is that a module has a bad cell- that block will read 1.0 to 1.5V lower (possibly only when under load or discharging), but some some higher when charging.

You can "just replace" the faulty module, but that seldom works correctly. The modules lose capacity with age and use. As long as they degrade evenly, the block voltages stay even and there's no problem.

Replacement modules can / will have different effective capacity (or how much total power that module can hold) and State Of Charge (how much power is in it right now).

That results in differences in block voltages as the car drives and sets codes.

As pointed out once in the forums, imagine you're looking to make a lineup of people based on height. You're looking for Joe Average, but you don't know if the random replacement will be Lebron James or Danny DeVito.

Short form, there's a low chance (15%?) that it could work for a few months to a year.

Next step would be to get some charger(s), replace modules, and discharge - charge cycle all the modules to improve and equalize capacities.

Do everything right and you can get 2 - 3 years. Maybe.

Here's a very long thread about this.

https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/1788250

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.