1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 "poor" gas mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by henry5rdjha, Feb 5, 2011.

1. henry5rdjha

henry5rdjha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was fortunate to purchase a 2007 package 2 Prius new in summer 2007. It has been great and my mileage here in Southern Wisconsin is combined 49 in summer and 45 in winter. It seems to get the same mileage in city or hwy driving. It has 75,000 miles and low quality Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires that I had put on at 30,000 miles since the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires wore out quickly. It is otherwise completely stock and unadulterated.

Since it has been so good, our family decided to purchase a used 2007 Package 4 Prius recently. It has 85,000 miles and moderately worn Goodyear Integrity tires. However it only gets about 34 MPG city, but 50 MPG hwy and I can't figure out why. My other Prius has similar miles and similarly worn tires but is consistently the same whether in city or highway. The tire pressures are the same on both cars, 42PSI front and 40PSI rear, parked in the same cold garage, using same fuel, same drivers, neither car seems to pull or have any alignment issues.

I do notice that driving the recently purchased Prius in town, it is hard to keep it going on battery alone, even for one block. With my original Prius I can easily go several blocks at 25-30 MPH on flat city streets. Is there some kind of setting in the "brain" telling the gasoline engine to kick in unnecessarily? Also, the annoying back up beeping has been disabled on the recently purchased Prius (which is nice), so it makes me wonder if someone has "messed" with the electronic settings. Or could this all mean the battery pack is getting weak and requiring more charging? But it is usually in the "green" or fully charged range.

Well, I hate to complain about 35city/50hwy mileage, but it is a little disappointing knowing it should do better. I am just wondering if anybody has any ideas of what I could do or check to improve my in town mileage.

Thanks for any input for a "newbie" !

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If "recently" means a few weeks, just drive it a while and see.

3. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Possible culprit?

"Do not disconnect your 12V battery any time within 2 weeks or so before
    the event. The car's computers learn certain values as you drive, and
    use them to create best-economy running conditions. If the battery gets
    disconnected, those learned parameters get erased and fall back to
    internal defaults which may not be as optimized for mileage performance."

source: http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-rally-hints.txt

More:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...does-prius-ecu-learn-your-driving-habits.html

Recently in cold and moist weather I've had trouble getting the ICE to shut down. During this time I've experienced the same issue of lower mileage as I'm trying to hypermile, but I've found a few ways around it, maybe they'll work on your car as well. Mine's also a 2007 by the way.

First trick I do is to simulate pulse and glide by just letting regen kick in completely if it's a slight downhill. I might pulse very lightly here and there (well, with ICE on it's always pulsing I guess) very briefly to keep it moving.

Another thing I've found which I prefer is that if the terrain is relatively flat and I very gently apply the pedal to accelerate (but an extremely slow acceleration), that I can go for example, anywhere between 25 mph to 30 mph and hit 50+ mpg. Usually I do this when I've just pulsed and tried to glide (but to no avail, I see the engine's still on), so it's when I'm just reapplying the accelerator to stop regen. For the first several seconds I see the usual, gross 25 mpg, then 30, then usually it "pops" up to 40s mpg, and quickly thereafter if I keep the foot very still, 50 and above. If you can keep the pedal constant the mpg will stay right there. I find if I try to slow down to test if glide is available at all I pretty much have to repeat the process, wasting gas as it goes down to 25 mpg or so to restart the pulse.

I've been able to get about 45-60 mpg for the five minute bars with these previous two techniques even when ICE doesn't shut down.

4. bluesman2007

bluesman2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I too have been experiencing much lower mileage of late. The average for the last 8 tanks is 38.1 with a low of 32.7 and a high of 43.3. Tires (Pirelli P4's) are 40/38 and recently ticked up to 42/40. Bought a new 12v battery from eLearning and had the dealer install it for $40. I checked the voltage using the procedure posted here and found that the first step showed it floating between 12.1/12.2. With the load it fluctuated between 11.8/12.0. The final check showed it about 13.9 on the new battery. I don't drive all that much (2007 with only a tad over 40K). A lot of my trips are short (under 10 miles but below 50mph with short bursts on the highway). I've never gotten anywhere near the EPA estimates with 53 being a high. Mostly in the low 40's. Don't have a heavy foot and try to pulse and glide where I can. Now the wind does blow in OK a lot...lol

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html

I don't know anything about those tires, but those could be responsible for some of your mileage hit. Your short drives are killer for your mileage and also not good for charging up the 12 volt. Your numbers will be closer to CR's city numbers at
    http://web.archive.org/web/20090628...-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm given the last page of http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf.

I got a http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...hargers-obd2-disconnect-reconnect-cycles.html to help keep the 12 volt battery topped off when I used to only have short drives. Don't bother w/ones connected thru cigarette lighters. The ports are dead (disconnected) when the car's off.

6. paulcummings55

paulcummings55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Did you ever find an answer to the low city MPG on your second 07 Prius? We just purchased an 07 Prius this summer, and our city mileage is also around 34 mpg- now some of this is due to short, less than 10 minute trips- but even on longer city driving trips, we are not get much better- and we should be by all accounts. I have done some extensive reading on this, and it is not a matter of 'pulse' driving, or weather, or other techniques- it is not the oil or oil level, or the 12-volt battery, and the rear brakes do not seem to be grabbing. I suspect the hybrid battery pack may be weaker- this seems confirmed by the comparison of your two 07 prii- though as per your thought I have also wondered if the ICE is kicking when it shouldn't. I have not found much with this set of conditions. Anyway- any answers?

Oh- you can turn off the back-up beep, but I do have the steps near me right now.

Hunters1 likes this.
  7. paulcummings55

paulcummings55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I "don't" have the steps near me right now;-)

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius