1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius “cycle to pass smog” a problem?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TheresaC, Jan 19, 2019.

1. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! I found an 07 Prius at a Toyota dealership, one owner, 107,000 miles with a hybrid battery replacement from Toyota in March 2018. Upon examining the repair/inspection records I saw “had to drive cycle to pass smog” is that a sign of expensive repairs to come? Or nothing to worry about?

I have a hold on it pending inspection from a mechanic of my choosing. I really like the car but want to be careful..

Thanks for your help! :)

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No that's nothing to do with any repairs. That's a procedure you do before taking a smog test.

Enjoy the car should you purchase it. I generally don't recommend a used Prius, but that's some pretty low mileage & a newly replaced battery from Toyota. Heck I'd buy it! lol :)

TheresaC likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Modern emissions testing systems don't just spot-check, they effectively want to see history on how the car has been running.

It's the difference between asking "are you healthy?" and "Have you been this healthy for a while now?"

So when that mechanic tried to smog-check it, they got the reply "I don't know, not enough data since memory reset" so they had to drive it around a while to develop enough data history for the computer to reply "healthy."

It should not be taken as a warning sign unless it showed up with other events/symptoms.

TheresaC likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To continue the explanation: Any time you disconnect the 12 battery, the computers forget all they know. Since the disreputable would use this to pass smog tests, (and to hide warning lights when selling) the state may require a certain amount of history since reconnecting the battery before it is allowed to pass the test.

A 2007 is on its second or third 12 volt battery by now, so it would be common. They may also have disconnected it when replacing the high voltage battery. (I would)

Best of luck with your Prius.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    TheresaC likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since your question has been answered, here's something to think about. Nearly 12 year old car at the dealership? Don't see that often.

You might want to consider a newer model because this car is just going to get older and the paint will start to go bad.

You should also check the records to see when parts were replaced.

Example

Shocks/struts
    Brakes
    Inverter pump/water pump
    Combination meter
    All the fluids
    Brake actuator pump

Some of these can be pretty expensive. I find it weird the car had an expensive battery replacement ($3000) and the owner gets rid of it within the year. My guess is another problem came up and the owner moved on

7. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. look for a corolla or something that doesn't have as many expensive repairs.

what is your budget?

9. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! Yes I thought the same thing when I saw the hybrid battery replaced then being sold shortly after. I studied the carfax and found fluids changed regularly, oil every 5000, rotors resurfaced brake pads etc over the years. Water pump in 2011 at 61,000. New hybrid battery, regular battery, serpentine belt replaced past March..that’s most of the repairs.

My logic was if I spend 7000 I will have plenty in my budget left over for repairs.That and I have a lifelong history of finding older reliable cars and running them forever..so I was hoping this might be my next lucky one :)

Are there any other specific signs I can look for that I will need these expensive repairs soon?

I plan on having a pre purchase inspection done by a general mechanic..If I do decide to proceed after that I will have a local mechanic specializing in Toyota hybrids hook it up to a computer etc

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Let me ramble on!

The transaxle is very reliable, but the ATF is advertised as 'lifetime'. No lubricant is. Toyota engineers suggested it be replaced every 100,000 miles. It is very much a DIY project for $40 4 quarts of ATF WS and two washers at the Dealer parts counter, or about $100 at the dealer, for 'drain and fill' not 'flush' which is wrong for any Prius.

The inverter is reliable but it's water pump is not, with the car in ready, look for movement in the reservoir. That means the pump is working. Owners who jump start to or from other cars can fry the inverter. We have heard no complaints about jump starters, which check if you have hooked them up correctly,

More and more I suspect the batterys hate heat. Your 12 volt battery may only last 3 years in Vegas, You will want sunshades and to park in shade to preserve your high voltage battery. Use A/C for the battery, not just for you. If you suspect the battery is too hot, idle a while before turning the A/C off.

The 1.5l engine in the Gen 2, is very reliable, check the oil often, but beyond that it seems bullet proof. if you see any thin pink lines in the engine compartment, suspect that the water pump is going.

Prius brakes are much more complicated than normal, unless you are a master, I would leave brakes to experts.

Other than that, it is a car. Best of luck!

TheresaC likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the new hybrid battery is oem.

any funny brake sounds may be impending actuator failure

TheresaC likes this.
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sounds like the ecu was reset. Sometimes sellers do this to cover up a fault code that later surfaces. How many minutes/miles since mil was reset?

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think the Toyota dealer would do that to cover up anything but the former owner might have. It could also be the 12v battery was replaced. Can you tell how old the 12v is?

TheresaC and JC91006 like this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New battery or dead battery.........This is more likely the case

Skibob likes this.
  15. TheresaC

TheresaC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    12 v about a year old..

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Vegas it has about 3 more years before heat kills it. You can help by parking in shade and using the A/C when it is hot.

I spent 14 years in NV, but Elko gives me no experience with dealing with Vegas level heat.