1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - 140K miles - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Racin_G73, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Racin_G73

Racin_G73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife bought her 2007 Prius new 5 years ago. She's approaching 140,000 miles.

We have another child on the way and are considering whether to replace one of our vehicles with something that has an extra row.

We're familiar with what to expect on a typical gasoline-powered Toyota product (my Scion xB is approaching 100,000.) But we don't know what to expect with the Prius.

What are some of the more common failures you start to see with high mileage? My past experience would say things like struts, CV joints, clutch (not applicable), etc.

From what I'm reading, the battery is not likely to be the weak link. But I have read about head lights and dash lights being a problem.

Our only major repair to date has been a short in the dash that cost several hundred to repair. It would cause the dash lights to turn off until you hit a bump or something.

What have you had to repair on your high mileage Prius?

2. gone2green

gone2green grumpier than the grumpiest old man you know ;)

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    the 12 volt aux battery should be checked, spark plugs if they have not yet been changed, pcv valve. have brakes checked.
    inverter coolant changed and radiator coolant changed, along with having the transaxle fluid changed if it has not been done yet. And yes the headlight bulbs went out now after 5 year mark, they are a bit tough to get out, there is a spring clip that holds the bulb in place after you remove the rubber boot, but if I could do it anyone can. I expected to find worn out shocks and struts after 5 yrs 120k miles but front struts and rear shocks were fine on my prius, just give it the ole bounce test, push down on the front and rear to see if it takes 1 bounce or many bounces before it stops , if more than 1 bounce up and down I would say they are bad.

3. MisterCrispy

MisterCrispy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the average number of miles people are getting out of their cars? I'm looking at buying a Prius and I would like to get around 200K. Is that doable ?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 Prius is now at 229k miles. The only expensive maintenance Items due to failures to date have been:
    • Steering column (loose internal couplings) at 150k miles - $1000
    • New Struts at 150k miles - $750
      (They passed the bounce test, but were soft compared to the new KYBs)
    • New HV Battery at 195k miles - it does happen at some point
      • Would have been $3400 at the dealer
      • I had a ReInVolt refurbished battery installed for $2000
    I have saved about $14,000 in gasoline so far so I am way ahead.

JeffD

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Without a doubt. My friend who owned a Gen 1 and then traded that in to be one of the first to own a 2004 Gen II when they came out the end of 2003 currently has 228,000 miles on that 2004. Other than doing regular maintenance it's still going strong. He said he feels guilty to the car but he is still on his original spark plugs and getting around an avg of 48 mpg. And he is still on his original traction battery as well. There have been Prius taxi cabs with 300,000 miles and they were on their original batteries as well.

usnavystgc likes this.