1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius 4H- Now it's running, but it won't accellerate.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by makeupteresa, May 16, 2013.

1. makeupteresa

makeupteresa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2007 Prius 4h with about 157k miles took a dump on Tuesday. My son was waiting for me in the car with both the air and the radio running on full blast. He'd pushed the power button twice (not sure if that matters) to get the air to run cold. After 20 minutes he turned it off. When I got back to the car, I push the power button and get a message stating "the P lock is not engaged" and to park on level ground, which I already was. I push the power button again start the car and all of the warning lights lit up, but the car didn't start. I push the power button and the warning lights would not go off. I had to push it a couple more times before they finally faded off. I tried to turn the car on again, same thing. No power. I lower the windows and they barely move. Eventually the car wouldn't respond at all. I had three different tow truck guys (they kept sending the wrong kind of truck) try to jump it. Nothing.

Now it's with the mechanic (not the dealer) who has a guy that's familiar with Priuses. He tells me they replaced 4 "integrated fuseable links" and the car is running, but it won't accelerate. He's getting codes P0A09 and P0A08. He says he thinks I may need to replace the inverter with converter assembly which is a $3500 part, not including labor. I'm hoping this isn't the case. Is there anything else he needs to check or try? Has anyone else had something like this happen?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. your son may have run down the 12 volt battery, and then the jump guy might have reversed the polarity of the charge cables which can fry the inverter. i would get a second opinion from the dealer. if they confirm, your mechanic should be able to find a used one pretty cheap. all the best!(y)

cwerdna likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. 1st set of symptoms sound like a low 12 volt, esp. needing to jump it.

And yep, reversing the polarity frequently destroys the (expensive) inverter and yes, I've heard of some folks getting lucky and having it only blow a fuse or fusible link.

4. makeupteresa

makeupteresa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there any way to find out if the idiot with the tow truck reversed the polarity? And what about the inverter recall I've read about on other threads? Any chance it could have just been a dud that needed replacing?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    There is no inverter recall on Priuses AFAIK. There is a recall on the inverter coolant pump.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Geez, another reversed polarity jump! It has all the hallmarks. I just can't understand how it can happen, red and black being easy to tell apart. There has to be some common thread to all these stories.

Yes, get a used inverter, and you should be OK. For long periods of sitting inside while stopped, leave the car in Ready mode, and the engine will come on to keep things charged.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some people don't have a clue and think that you should connect red to black. :(

I got that from someone on my floor in college (WAY before Prius existed) when my battery went dead. I think I left a light on. Fortunately, I knew better.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not another one! We hear so many stories of tow truck operators (and others) frying Priuses with failed reverse polarity jump attempts that it's scary. It's just amazing how often this kind of stuff seems to happen.

I think some guys think you can do this stuff by trial and error. These stories frighten me so much that I'd never let anyone jump my Prius except myself these days.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep guarantied to flatten the little 12V battery.

It's an absolute certainty that one of the "jumps" reversed the polarity and blew your inverter. The blown fusible links are definite proof of this. At that point it goes from simple 12V battery recharge (or at worst a 12V battery replacement) to a major $3500+ expense.

Given that three tow trucks came to look at it, I don't see how you're going to know who did it. It was probably the very first one that attempted the jump, otherwise it would simply have started right there and then. But you've got pretty much zero chance of getting any compensation out of them if they simply deny doing it.

cwerdna likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. makeupteresa

makeupteresa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I forgot to mention that the first guy the insurance company sent out was a guy in a Prius with a jump starter that knew where to find the battery and where to find the jump point at the front of the car. The second guy was not the sharpest tool in the shed. He was supposed to tow the car, but only had a flat bed tow truck which wouldn't work since I couldn't get it into neutral. I told him that someone had already tried jumping it with a jump starter and he said that may not have been enough to get it going. He said he'd try to jump it, but didn't know where to start looking for the battery. I told him it was in the back and he tried it with my husband there making sure he was putting the cables in the right place. That didn't work so he called someone to ask if there was anything else he could try. Whoever was on the phone with him told him where to put the cables in the front of the car, which he tried but it still didn't work. My husband remembers the lights on the dashboard (park,reverse,neutral etc) were on before the second guy got there but they were just flickering and fading. After that guy tried to jump it none of the dash board lights came on.

12. makeupteresa

makeupteresa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How long would a used inverter last? Being that the car has over 150k miles, are there any other major expenses I should expect?

13. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The inverters don't fail much on their own, so I don't think you will have a problem in that regard. You should replace the transaxle fluid (ATF), if that hasn't been done. If you haven't done the Toyota safety recalls, you should do so ASAP. You *might* have to deal with a new traction battery in the near future, but it may go a good while longer.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can afford it, it wouldn't hurt to look around at newer models. you might go another 50-100-150k miles without major repairs, but you might not. also, there will be a lot of smaller expenses at higher mileage as well.

15. makeupteresa

makeupteresa New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    *UPDATE*
    I had to have my Prius towed to the dealer since there were error codes that can only be read by the Toyota computer. I just got word from the dealer that I have to replace the 12V battery, $386, because they need to have a battery that is putting out the full 12V in order to do the full diagnosis which is going to be another $460!!!! Does this sound right? I feel like I'm getting screwed! Is there a way to find out how many hours Toyota allows for this type of diagnostic work? Do I really need to replace the battery? Thanks for the help...

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Virtually no car will run without a 12 volt battery. You will note that the very first reply mentioned that you needed a new one. The computers can't store codes without a functioning 12 volt battery. (That is how you clear codes, unplug the 12 volt battery)

Had you replaced it yourself, it would have been about $180 USD Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

It would not surprise me if Dealer labor cost was not $125 an hour USD. (no clue if you are not in the US)

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah you need a healthy 12V battery in there. The price sounds a bit steep though, others in the US have mentioned prices ranging from about $220 to $350 for the dealer to replace that battery.

Do they have any more info regarding whether or not the inverter has failed? I suppose if you're lucky then maybe the 12V battery just failed really heavily and was enough of a short circuit to prevent it from taking a jump start. Let us know how it turns out.