1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius acceleration question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt Piersall, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Matt Piersall

Matt Piersall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello!
    I am trying to diagnose if my battery is the issue. When I hit the gas it takes a few seconds to get going. It also does this while driving when I keep my foot in same position it will have intermittent times when it acts like I am not pushing the paddle. I hear the fan in the back passenger seat and all the warning lights are on. I don't want to waste money on a battery if it isn't the problem. I have taken to a couple shops but neither can give me what is wrong. Thanks for any help!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a shop that has tech stream software, or a dealer

SFO likes this.
  3. Matt Piersall

Matt Piersall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The main code is c1310.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    That code isn't likely to be the only 'main code' (aka DTC), most likely you have DTC P0A80 and other codes.

The OBD2 scanner that either of the preferred repair shops is using doesn't appear to be fully compatible with Toyota Hybrids. Like @bisco kindly mentioned above, you need a shop that is better equipped to handle diagnosing the issue.

If the dealer or another repair/diagnostic facility isn't an option, try getting a free 'generic' scan at one of the local auto parts chains, each location may have a different OBD2 scanning device, even within the same chain. Try them all (autozone, oriellys, pepboys, napa, etc), write down or record any new codes (DTCs) that are scanned and report them back here for further assistance.

If you're still stuck, consider purchasing a mini-vci cable, and installing techstream on a tablet or windows device that has a USB port.

Are you in Ohio?

#4 SFO, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Raytheeagle and Matt Piersall like this.
  5. Matt Piersall

Matt Piersall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes I am in the Cleveland area. Thanks for all the suggestiona . I will check back in when I have more info . Thanks again.

I also get a code POA80 but that clears and doesn't come back right away.

#5 Matt Piersall, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fan on and look on the screen right above the radio the mfd screen if there’s an icon of a car in the upper left corner it’s the hybrid battery.

What your experiencing with the power delay is the car is in limp mode and the hybrid battery is no longer contributing power and it is solely running on the tiny anemic engine only.

Have no idea how many miles on the car.

7. Matt Piersall

Matt Piersall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    260,000 with 80,000 on a refurbished battery. Any clue why it goes back and forth from limp mode to fine ? Maybe that falls under what you said above? That symbol you suggested is on my car. Can it go in and out of limp mode?

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your HV battery is failing, now is the time to consider any available warranty options, or a repair/replacement.

If you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time, a toyota new or used (not refurbished) from a recent wreck would be prudent.

Given your location, its possible that @ericbecky may be able to offer some assistance.

9. Matt Piersall

Matt Piersall New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have found a battery to buy and I am curious how many hours should labor take? I will need them to take out and then put in new one . Thanks for all of your help! I am glad I signed onto the group.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you got 80k out of a rebuilt? what kind was it?

SFO likes this.
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please tell us more about this found battery.

A generous amount of labor for such a job would be 4 hours (many could do this in well under 2 hours), and that should include cleaning the HV battery fan and checking the connections for potential corrosion.

Raytheeagle likes this.