1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius - Battery not charging, no acceleration, Red triangle and other warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rovinpiper, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Rovinpiper

Rovinpiper New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been trying to figure this car out for a month.It's got 120K miles on it.

I've got multiple dashboard warning lights: The red triangle, the brake warning light consisting of an exclamation point in a circle, "VSC", and the check engine light. Despite all of these I can get no codes when I try my scantool. I bought a Tachyon H1, with the idea that this tool was specifically made for my car.

The car is performing very poorly. I have to floor it to get above 50 mph. Gas mileage is poor. The hybrid battery will charge if you start the car and leave it at idle, but once you drive above 25 mph, there is no battery charging for the rest of the trip. The diagram on the screen shows no regenerative braking or anything.

I used the battery reconditioning package from hybrid automotive to try to fix this, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you may have a failed module, the Hybrid Automotive charger won't help with a failed module.

Open up the pack and look for the bad module and replace it. Then charge and balance with the Hybrid Automotive charger

jeff652 likes this.
  3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you given us a call on this yet? Carl is running behind on the phones due to the holiday. Next step is to load test the modules to identify the failed one, replace it, then cycle the pack a few more times to equalize everything. We can refer you to a reputable module supplier if it helps.

4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It won't fix the failed module, but it will fix the pack once the failed module is replaced :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need tech stream to read toyota codes.

6. Rovinpiper

Rovinpiper New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright Jeff,

I've come this far. What's $60 on another of your gadgets.

I'll take a recommendation of a reputable supplier of battery modules. Thanks.

So, is Tachyon Technologies just a pack of liars? That scantool is specifically marketed for Toyota hybrids.

#6 Rovinpiper, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    jeff652 and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it works on toyota hybrids, they are even sold in the priuschat shoppe and a lot of people here use them. but's it's more of a data reader than dtc's.

8. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, we will get this shipped tomorrow. I also just emailed you the module supplier info :)

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Demand a refund from Tachyon. $61 worth of garbage: Tachyon H1 OBDII Scan Tool for Toyota Hybrids | Tachyon Technologies. Sure, their GUI (Graphic User Interface) is nicer than Torque PRO, but the software still sucks as you found out: unable to read all Toyota/Toyota Hybrid codes.

Toyota/Lexus dealers use Techstream (granted its a genuine licensed copy). Mini VCI w/ a hacked copy of Techstream will open your eyes; Amazon/eBay for $20-$30. With this tool, you will be able to read and clear ALL DTCs. An added bonus is the ability to bleed your brakes now! Try getting Tachy-junk to do that. Mini VIC requires a Windows laptop, 32bit OS (ie XP); use on a Mac is possible.

#9 exstudent, Sep 7, 2016
  10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    But Tachy-junk states (Tachyon H1 OBDII Scan Tool for Toyota Hybrids | Tachyon Technologies):
    "Read and Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes in Hybrid Controller, ECU, EMPS, ABS, Air Bags and AC system DTCs are the first indications that there is a malfunction in the system. Proper detection and fixing it may save thousands of dollars that you may spend on expensive repairs."
    IMO (In My Opinion) & according to Merriam-Webster, Tachy-junk is committing Fraud.
    Fraud | Definition of Fraud by Merriam-Webster
    1 a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right
    b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
    2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat
    b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be

At the very least, IMO, Tachy-junk is guilty of 1b and 2b.​

#10 exstudent, Sep 7, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  11. Rovinpiper

Rovinpiper New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone,

I reached out to the supplier you recommended, Jeff. I think I will call our friends at Tachyon Technologies. I can at least let them know what I think of their product.

12. Rovinpiper

Rovinpiper New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, I ordered a couple of battery modules. Hopefully that is all I will need. Once I complete load-testing I'll know.

13. Alina84

Alina84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m having this same issue and wanted to know if this worked for you. I just bought my prius from someone after having it checked out at the dealership. Dealership ran diagnostics said everything was fine and here I am 3 weeks later with a car that I can barely drive

Thank you for your help in advance.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    since rovinpiper hasn't been here in two years, you would do well to start a new thread, and give detailed info on the whole situation

all the best!(y)

Skibob likes this.