1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius battery replacement and CCA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mlbhpdx, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mlbhpdx

mlbhpdx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dealership told me it is $400 to replace the started baterry. Took to Les Scwab and they could figure out the battery kind/type so couldn't know if they had one. Does the battery have to come from the dealer? If not, what kind of battery does the 2007 Prius take? Also, dealer said I had 140 CCA left - is that enough to get me from Portland to San Francisco and back without dying? Please assit. I am supposed to leave tomorrow morning at 6am. Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea what a CCA is. If you'll do a search you'll find info on how to replace the Prius battery with an Optima version which is a bit cheaper and those who use it seem to feel is better.

Prius 12V swap

Also, the $400 is probably the "installed" price. If you're willing to spend 5 minutes searching the site and 10 more doing the work yourself you can get it for about $270, just buy it at the parts desk.

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/

1 person likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    CCA=cold cranking amps

I'm not sure that's too relevant for the Prius since the 12 volt doesn't crank anything. Prius has no dedicated starter motor and the ICE is started by one of the MGs and the big HV battery.

$400 to install a 12 volt in a Prius is a ripoff.

There was some confusion and a period of time where an OEM replacement was quite expensive. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...battery-part-28800-21171-a-5.html#post1343086 is a guess as to what happened. Read the rest of the thread for details.

I personally ordered the Optima battery with kit from elearnaid and change it myself.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You need a group 51 non-spillable battery. CCA doesn't matter. Deep cycle is better. Drop-in replacement options beyond Toyota OEM are extremely limited. Cost should be anywhere from $135 to $185 at the parts counter from a Toyota dealer. But the Optima kit from elearnaid.com is very effective as far as solving the 12V battery problems common in this car.