1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius: Car Remote Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Muhahahahaz, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Muhahahahaz

Muhahahahaz Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

So it looks like the battery in my Key Fob has died. I've had some trouble replacing it, so for the past week or so I've been forced to use the physical key every single time. It's getting pretty annoying now, so I've decided to figure this out once and for all. From what I gather, the replacement should be battery number 2032?

My question is about how to get the darned thing open. I removed the physical key from the side of the fob, but I absolutely cannot get the back to slide off like it's supposed to. :(

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to open it? :)

Thanks,
    Muhahahahaz

2. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You're probably doing everything right but the tracks the back cover slides in are encrusted with pocket lint and sweat and after four years of that crud accumulating, the cover doesn't want to budge.

I can't tell you what to do but I'd try alcohol or WD 40 or circuit board cleaner from Radio Shack. Don't go crazy with whatever you use. The track that's jammed runs about one third the length of the fob behind the panic button. I would apply whatever you use with a q-tip to both seams concentrating on the panic button end of the fob. It may take several applications and some time.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    link on my signature...

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as a text over-view.

pull out mechanical key (by sliding top "lock")

hold key in left hand with the same mechanical lock on top.. buttons facing you.

with your left pointer finger, slide the lock to the unlock position (watch as the actual lock slides into the case) with the mechanical key follow that pin ... when everything stops (lock fully back, key fully inserted into lock area) carefully pull up with the key (parallel with length of fob... up.. or away from you at this point) and keep the lock switch from pushing the key out... the entire "back" or logo cover & top/lock will side up... once it's out a bit you can remove the key and Slide it off by hand.

use a tiny "glasses" screwdriver (the tiny ones you can find at pharmacies or hardware stores)... undue all 4 screws, replace with 2032 battery.

replace screws, slide logo cover (i'm always testing new names)

1 person likes this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BTW, don't overpay for a CR2032. Radio Shack, for instance, charges a RIPOFF price for them. If you want to mail order from digikey.com, try places like Fry's. They should have them for <$2 each.