1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius computer "not communicating"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CindyLooHoo, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CindyLooHoo

CindyLooHoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a correlation between a Prius sitting in the hot sun and the computer malfunctioning? When I came out from a movie yesterday, the temps read 106 degrees outside the car. The emergency brake light was on, though the brake was off. I pumped the brake on/off a couple of times, but the light stayed on. As I pulled out, the brake seemed to engage, then disengage causing the engine to stutter and surge. The service tech today tells me the computer is not communicating and at 50,000 miles, I am out of warranty. :eek: Has anyone else had similar problems? Is it worth the money to get the new computer? Will the car be safe afterwards?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Which "computer"? What are the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) the dealer found to arrive at this conclusion? Without this, we don't really have anything to go on.

Also, out of curiosity, which dealer is this?

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto that. It's often good to get a 2nd opinion at a different dealer. If there really is a wiring or computer (Electronic Control Unit) problem it will need to be fixed.