1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius frequently drains

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RameshV, Aug 9, 2020.

1. RameshV

RameshV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have owned 2007 Prius from 2011 and 186K on it. A year and a half back, I encountered a dashboard becoming dark suddenly. I fixed the combination meter at the local shop. A year back I changed the 12 V battery. Ever since, If I don't drive the car frequently, it dies as the battery drains and need to jumpstart.
    During this COVID time, I am not driving to the office and the car is idle. Every day, it dies and needs to jumpstart to take the car out. I bought the mobile jumpstart kit to start up.
    Please let me know if any mechanics in the Tampa area to fix the combination meter as I suspect there is a leak it's draining the battery so often. Sick and tired of jumpstarting this car during this crisis time.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

First check that the battery connections are tight, also pay attention to the where the grounding strap connects to the vehicle body.

Using a multimeter/voltmeter, what is the measured voltage at the jump points under the hood and again at the 12v battery in the rear?

The battery should still be under warranty, have the retailer/dealer test to verify the usability, otherwise have them replace it.

Once the 12v is known to be good, you might consider a battery maintainer.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    While that might seem like a logical conclusion, it really is NOT.
    You need to have the battery tested and the main connections checked and the charging voltage checked.

It is possible that your new battery never was fully charged and the driving never made up for that.
    Multiple dead events then might have already "killed" your almost new battery.