1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius has C1253 AFTER dealership replaces Brake Actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eelfner, May 5, 2023.

1. eelfner

eelfner Curious Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 Prius recently had brake issues with codes: C1256, C1253, C1252. Took to the Toyota dealership. They said need to replace Brake Actuator. Total price after taxes ~$3600. An out-of-town shop would do it for $2200, but too difficult to manage the logistics. I pretty much assume the car is not worth this with a variety of body and paint damage and 175k miles. But, I said ok because car has been trouble free for years.

Upon pickup of the car, the dash warning lights were still on: BRAKE, ((!)), ABS, VSC.

Now dealership wants another $500 to do further diagnostics. They did say the car was "Safe to Drive". Unsure if I believe them.

Seems time to cut my losses. I have read many posts here on this brake actuator and know that it can be problematic. I may try to recoup some of the spent money.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

2. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    They should have fixed it properly. No lights on the dash and no stored codes. Period.

Did they replace the ABS Resistor under the dash?

see Mr. B's video.
    Talk to the service manager, then the dealership owner, then complain to toyota.