1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius HV Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KMM8, Feb 1, 2023.

1. KMM8

KMM8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I wanted to see if there was any additional advise about HV module failures before I went and replaced a few on my car.

Some background. I left my car at the airport for three weeks and when I came back I drove for about 10 miles before the triangle, VSN, check engine, and ! came on. I checked the codes the next day and received these.
    - P0420: I've had this pop in and out all year
    - P0A80: Never seen this
    - P3015: Never seen this

I tested the car with both the Dr. Prius app and the Torque Pro app to see what was going on and it looks like definitely number 5 module is dead and possibly number 12.

The battery on the LCD screen goes wild when I drive and goes to a single purple bar if the AC, radio, and headlights are on.

I've attached some screen shots of Torque Pro while I was driving to show some of the voltage for the battery.

The car drove fine just a little jumpy, but no limp mode all the way home going 70 mph.

Should I just replace the one that is definitely bad or both modules that look bad. Should I check out anything else?

Appreciate the help in advance!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm no expert, but i would say replace both modules and balance the battery.

and expect to keep doing it as more modules continue to fail

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are 28 modules in the battery (unless it is one of those aftermarket jobs with the doublewide modules), but as you can see, Dr. Prius only shows you 14 voltage readings. Each reading is for one 'block' of two modules.

So if you have a low reading for block 5, that's going to be module 9 or module 10 (or maybe even both).

Did somebody lay out those gauges on the display screen on purpose so they go 9 10 12 11 14 13 ?