1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Prius Hybrid battery is started to charge incomplete and slowly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LifetimeLearner, Apr 4, 2024.

1. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reading posts for hours - the car lost a little power the other day so I switched over to the trip info screen to look at the charging system and noticed the bars were way down. As I pulled in to the driveway after running all my errands, the battery bars finally flashed to the pretty bright florescent green clear to the top that I was hoping to see. I am noticing lately the charge is not going back up very quickly. Am I skating on thin ice? No warning lights. 115,000 miles.
    Is the only safe place to buy a battery the dealership? What is a reliable source to purchase cell replacement packs? I am not a mechanic. I am just thinking I do not want to be caught by surprise all of a sudden. The threads on this topic are all older it appears. Any new info in 2024?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You only have 115,000 miles on a generation 2 Prius and 2024 holy Christ man yeah well there you go so your battery is generally over the 8 to 10 years generally that they last buy a good amount so there's always that what happens when your battery is really failing good we've noticed is you'll start the car you may have some blue bars but usually it's magenta or red You back up back out of the driveway and start driving before you get to the first stop sign on your journey You've almost got a full rack of blue bars then you leave the stop sign at the end of your street and get out on the road and start driving and miraculously it turns to a rack full of green bars and before you can look over and pinch yourself and go oh boy everything is great You look back up and you see three magenta bars and you're like what the heck and you keep on driving and a few seconds to a minute later you see a rack of blue bars and so on and so forth The thing is flip-flopping like crazy this is happened on all four of our generation twos when the battery was miserably failing at this time the car's driving seemingly fine and erratically getting between 39 and 44.7 mi to the gallon or something like this. When I pull the batteries under these conditions the bus bars are black the nuts are frosted everything generally looks like poo poo or that's what I think and as soon as I get with my buddy and pick up one of his refurbished packs ready to go and hand him mine instantly the mileage jumps up to like 47.1 and I'm seeing nothing but blue and green when I'm driving regularly 75 miles an hour and less We don't really push the Prius into the '80s and all that it'll do it it's just not worth it for the wear and tear on the car and all of that at this stage in my life I'm not running an ambulance there's nothing that important to me I spent many years running hundreds of miles an hour. Now I enjoy not doing that I enjoy the 47 miles to the gallon more than I do the 17 or whatever it would be.

LifetimeLearner likes this.
  3. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for reciting your experience with your cars. Hoping I can source parts - I am not a mechanic, but I might know one who could handle the job.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When the battery comes out and your mechanic sees looks under the cover and sees all the stuff like the pictures you'll see here on this site and on YouTube the darkened copper bus bars that used to look like copper cladding on your roof overhang nice and bright copper color they're all black and all kinds of corrosion going on and the display acting is described above or similar to it and you put a new one in there and all that stuff magically goes away.

5. Carall

Carall Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is an original battery, then it is 17 years old. Before it’s too late, you need to restore the capacity and it should still work with such a low mileage. To do this, you need a charger with a low current of 300-500 mA and 2 light bulbs for discharge, but this is if you can do it yourself or if there is someone who would do it for you.